Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The pluses & minuses of new girth straps
L-J
Super Hero

biggrin.gif posted on 19-2-2019 at 01:34 PM
The pluses & minuses of new girth straps

Pluses....great to have the saddle I prefer back....rode Connie today & she decided to take exception to big bale wrap flapping in the breeze in a place where there had NEVER been big bale wrap flapping in the breeze before. She had executed a 1/4 pirouette on a narrow track with a downhill slope to the side she turned...the saddle & I stayed put :clap::clap::clap::clap: We went up onto the far moor & did our first canter on the level & over a reasonable distance, despite her ear position being more Mawari than Highland I felt secure & we had good brakes :)
Minuses....they are hard to do up despite me lavishing softening stuff on them & my ponies are not a svelte as I thought they were :D:D:D:D:D The old straps must have stretched a lot!!!!!!

Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 03:50 PM

Lovely to have your 'proper' saddle back and well done for staying put!! IP and I went out to enjoy some fabulous spring sunshine today and she was the most perfect physio although I'm still only managing short bimbles.

Nothing worse than new girth tabs - I have more than once punched myself in the nose heaving up a new set on a reluctant horse :blue:
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 09:15 PM

Sounds a good ride LJ and Midge - god help me if I had new girth straps to deal with ... Can only just manage the old ones.

Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 20-2-2019 at 10:17 AM

In a related vein, my saddle fitter suggested I got rid of my 'humane' girth as now they reckon the metal ring the ends slide through pushes into the horses' side and replaced it with one elasticated at both ends or no elastic. I've never had / trusted an elasticated girth until now, and Mac seems to like it but my worry is, if he spooks, I reckon it will allow the saddle to slip. Nice girth though, it's a Harry Dabbs shaped one, a bit like a Prolite but half the price.
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-2-2019 at 11:54 AM

Apologies for highjacking but just commenting on Rossie's point. Worth a look at an anatomical pic of the horse - superficial thoracic vein or sometimes just called abdominal vein - L-J please correct me if I'm wrong! The buckle of short girths, perhaps more commonly western cinches, like the 'humane' ones with metal rings, often sits right on this vein. Its worth checking if, like me, you use a short girth with a treeless.

I use elastic in my girths as I think its more comfortable for the horse but that's just my opinion. However, it's possible to be over zealous when doing them up :stealth: so I always check for tightness by lifting my leg rather than leaning forward and checking with my leg back. If you lean forward all the weight goes forward too and a girth that's already tight can feel a bit loose.
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 20-2-2019 at 06:46 PM

I use western cinch but I've always gone for longer than is traditional to sit a bit higher didn't know about the vein but they do seem happier that way.

The punching yourself in the nose did make me chuckle I do remember doing that with a new saddle on Tam sure he tutted at me :heh hee:
getagrip
Super Freak

[*] posted on 20-2-2019 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Midge  

I use elastic in my girths as I think its more comfortable for the horse but that's just my opinion. However, it's possible to be over zealous when doing them up :stealth: so I always check for tightness by lifting my leg rather than leaning forward and checking with my leg back. If you lean forward all the weight goes forward too and a girth that's already tight can feel a bit loose.

An interesting point Midge - will try this. Although don't use elastic girth on Doug - have no hope of saddle staying in the middle :heh hee::heh hee:

L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 23-2-2019 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Midge  
Apologies for highjacking but just commenting on Rossie's point. Worth a look at an anatomical pic of the horse - superficial thoracic vein or sometimes just called abdominal vein - L-J please correct me if I'm wrong! The buckle of short girths, perhaps more commonly western cinches, like the 'humane' ones with metal rings, often sits right on this vein. Its worth checking if, like me, you use a short girth with a treeless.

I use elastic in my girths as I think its more comfortable for the horse but that's just my opinion. However, it's possible to be over zealous when doing them up :stealth: so I always check for tightness by lifting my leg rather than leaning forward and checking with my leg back. If you lean forward all the weight goes forward too and a girth that's already tight can feel a bit loose.[/rquote

Had hoped to reach one of my textbooks to confirm which vein Midge meant but OH STILL :eeek::eeek::eeek: doing upstairs landing flooring so stuff STILL in front of book cases :blue: Google to the rescue :)
https://www.google.com/search?q=horse+superficial+thoracic+vein&...
This shows the vein low down below any buckles rings of girths that I use, even in my treefree days, however there is one drawing with a higher up set of lines, not sure what this is delineating. May find the answer one day :D

[Edited on 23-2-2019 by L-J]

L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 23-2-2019 at 04:03 PM

Not sure why my reply ended up in the quote box

Go To Top