Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Not a quiet hack today.....
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 15-2-2019 at 12:53 PM
Not a quiet hack today.....

The hunt were out ...... the only reason I know they are out is because there are 30+ cars/4x4 etc rushing up & down our lane, parking in every available gateway!!
Madge & I had gone for a quiet mooch as I am having to use my old treefree...now I have hip arthritis it is no longer comfy & I am not secure!! Poor Madge was amazed by all this activity & as I cannot push her on with my legs in this saddle I gave up & had a very short hack!! Never mind I got my revenge leading her back up the lane to her field...10 cars got stuck behind us:D:D
Hopefully I will get my usual saddle back this afternoon. It is having new girth straps fitted...one tore through a hole in the girth strap where the buckle was done up when Connie pushed me off a low level wooden bridge, then followed me down the 3' drop into the marshy stream. The little bridge has no side rails :( Rode home & I only noticed the tear when I was untacking her!! This was in June, I thought now we were having poxy weather I would get it sorted...of course the weather turned lovely the minute I arranged this & my hips are aching...I could not pass up the oportunity to ride for 4 days in a row...that is as many time as I had ridden all this year until Tuesday!!
60+ mile round trip this afternoon to get my saddle back.

[Edited on 15-2-2019 by L-J]

vakizz

[*] posted on 15-2-2019 at 02:11 PM

Oh heck you do have an exciting life. Good for making all those cars wait. We don't get hunt, but everytime there is an accident on A1 all the cars come whizzing round the village and back lane and sit right up behind you. The drop from the bridge sounds scarey:eeek: Glad it was just girth strap that went. Have to say thats why I am not that fussed on synthetic saddle YO has lent me as it is very old and has webbing girth straps. Hopefully things will quieten down. The hunt should be stopping soon?:bighug:
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 15-2-2019 at 08:04 PM

Yes, hopefully they will not appear again this season! When I got back from my 60 mile trip one 4x4 was parked in the middle of the road chatting to their mates standing on the verge...neither lot moved :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: In the end I drove slowly at the pedestrians to get them to move so I could go home!!!! Other folks in the village had similar problems getting home. Grrrrr. None of us saw a hutsman, a rider or a hound, just all these car followers! Yet they spent all day in one small valley :eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek:

[Edited on 15-2-2019 by L-J]

Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-2-2019 at 08:20 AM

They don't help themselves, do they? Things have changed down here too...
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 16-2-2019 at 10:18 AM

No, they seem to think they own the roads when they follow the hunt. They probably thought you were 'one of them' though, especially if you were driving a country type vehicle.
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-2-2019 at 06:07 PM

How arrogant and ill mannered.
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 17-2-2019 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossie  
No, they seem to think they own the roads when they follow the hunt. They probably thought you were 'one of them' though, especially if you were driving a country type vehicle.

I did wonder that as I drive a beautiful LWB silver Defender but it has personalised plates G10 VET so they should have realised they had not seen me during the day. Number plate=our old hot air balloon's aircraft registration number, well as close as we could get, it wore G-OVET :)
The rest of our little village is fed up of the car followers too. They all had difficulty getting home plus the hunt never notified the riding school...all their horses were out & started partying:eeek: Karen said her evening lessons were "interesting"!!!!
Then the hunt went and left/abandoned its hound lorry...which looked like a removal lorry parked in a layby at the end of the village .... we have had folks stealing quads round here so no way was I going to take a close look as it was dark & I do not have an SBT ATM. I went onto village messenger & the only mature bloke in the village went & did a recce :) Took a photo of its number plate...good plan :) & between them those in the knowdecided it was the hound lorry even though it looked like a mini removal lorry. Recently we have had extreme vegans in spooky masks blocking the road end to our nearest dairy farm...or maybe clever thieves wearing the masks favoured by vegan extremists..whichever it is I am on the look out for another SBT!!!! GRs & Whippets do not scare thieves!!! Sadly all the rescue SBTs say they are not good with other dogs or cats:bawling: Our SBTs have always been great with cats & other dogs but that is 'cos we have had them since pups...some were rescue pups...but I think we may be paying real money for a pedigree SBT if we cannot find a suitable rescue in the next few weeks. Life is a bit scary in our peaceful, off the beaten track village ATM

vakizz

[*] posted on 17-2-2019 at 07:28 PM

I can send you a corgi who has ears like antennae and picks up all sorts of sounds and will bark for England if anyone is around. I know I complain about him sometimes, but no point in having a dog and barking yourself. I'm sure someone told me about either staffys or patterdales the other day. They both go ballistic if anyone comes past who shouldn't be around. Terribly arrogant isn't it that the hunt can't be bothered to let anyone know when they are around, or will leave lorries etc. never mind the going near yards, especially riding schools. Mind you been there with that one when one big yard I was in the hunt trotted right through the yard and upset all the horses, so when they were due to come a couple of weeks later, everyone left theirs in, but as I was around I left Cara and her companion pony out. She wasn't in the least bothered not even when I watched completely bemused as the huntsman, gave his horse to another and proceeded to walk with the pack of hounds through the adjacent fields then right into Cara's field. She was great and just looked like it was a bit of entertainment, but it was a very stupid thing to do and showed a worrying amount of ignorance on behalf of the huntsman. We had lampers out in the night just before Christmas, you do have to be so careful.:bighug:
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 18-2-2019 at 05:16 PM

That sounds really unpleasant and a huge PR fail - I hope it wasn't the Cleveland ... Good luck with your own hunt for a staffy. Will be in touch re catering for AGM soon.

Go To Top