Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Attitude
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 11-2-2019 at 12:16 PM
Attitude

Rode Mac this morning, lovely sunny day but a bit nippy, not too bad though. We've been having issues again about whether or not he will trot when I first ask him and today he was determined he wasn't going to! So after planting, threatening to chuck me off etc for half the school, I got off and whacked him with the stick (I daren't do it from on his back - he'd buck me off :( ) - funny though, after that we trotted whenever I asked.
Normally he gives in and I don't have to resort to such tactics but today he was being a right s*d. I always carry on until he gives in, but you'd think by now he'd realise that and trot when asked? Why does he have to be so difficult, I'm not enjoying riding him at the moment, he's such hard work.
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 08:57 AM

Always really difficult when they get like this. Just stay consistent plenty of ground work keep life interesting. They do come out the other side. :hug:
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 10:09 AM

Well, it's taking a long time - he's been like this for at least 3 years :banghead:
vakizz

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 01:10 PM

Naughty boy, how old is he Rossie, despite the fact that Cara is good now, she is coming up to 16 and for a long time she was so cheeky and could spin really fast and dump me, plus having me off my feet long reining by being daft. Hopefully with the better weather you will be able to ride more regularly and he will settle down. Do you have anyone to ride out with?:bighug:
getagrip
Super Freak

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 10:54 PM

Bad boy :eeek: It's tricky when they're not getting consistent work - well done for getting his attention :clap:

FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 11:12 PM

Longed Thyme today in the jump field with all its luscious grass. Didn't tighten the she roller enough so when the head went down the grass reins pulled it up her neck and she could get at the grass. We walked round and a crack of the whip got the head up for a few more steps until she decided she wanted to stand still and just eat. I got rather annoyed and gave her a few cracks but one it curled and got her face and she jumped and ran in a circle. She walked beautifully after that and when we got back she was shutting one eye so that was what I must have hit. Made me think of this post of Rossies and perhaps getting off and one good whack is better than sitting on board kicking and using the whip constantly. I felt so guilty.

Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 11:00 AM

Rode again this morning and he was far better, although still refused my initial request for trot. This time I lunged him for 5 minutes first, to warm him up, so he'd already trotted when I asked so the refusal was quite short.
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 11:01 AM

Oops, forgot to say that I usually ride alone, in the school as he'd kill me if I attempted to hack out alone - he's bad enough in company! We do hack out sometimes with his mate but haven't recently after a scare meeting the pigs on our ride :eeek:
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 12:10 PM

Thyme is very safe, whatever you do to try and get her going she never tries to dump you. If not planted she can dance beautifully backwards. sideways, stamp her feet, drop and shake her head etc but never bucks. Usually after her little tantrum she has gone reasonably well and sometimes superbly. it is just this last year really as with my knee and strangles she has not done much and I just felt helpless. I do not like giving her a whack but she doesn't seem to notice, elephant hide apart from her face yesterday. I suppose my confidence is not at its best either. If planted and someone walks in front of us she will always follow that person I think she was probably very well handled from birth.

I think I will take a step back and relax
Mary
Fledgeling

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 01:46 PM

An alternative is a method my daughter uses when Winston is not being obliging is what we call the 'tap tap' method. Start off by, suppose you are asking for walk to trot, correct aid, if nothing happens (v common with Winston), you repeat aid and instantly tap tap with a schooling whip behind the girth - I have to say timing is absolute key to it working, there should be no delay - if you get a response leave alone but as soon as there is a hint of slowing down, repeat the exercise straightaway with the tap tap, keep going until recalcitrant pony is going for himself. The crucial bit is the timing, can't emphasise that enough, when we go for a hack and she thinks I am letting him get away with being lazy, she talks me through and as soon as Winston hears her say 'tap tap' he ups his game. Then do lots and lots and lots of transitions until pony goes straight into trot at the normal aid. Might be worth a try, the theory is they start to go for themselves when they realise that is the only way you are going to leave them alone.

Go To Top