Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another Thyme Update
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2019 at 07:46 PM
Another Thyme Update

Hope someone is around to read this and give me some ideas

After she was released from quarantine I was nervous so we proceeded slowly and seemed to be doing ok. Then she decided that she should have retired and has become a serious planter. I am at my wits end as I need to rebuild my confidence, think the best part of an hour to get an occasional few steps. We had a lesson on Sunday and spent an hour on the end of a lunge line and she was so good for my instructor. I was trotting with no stirrups and my eyes shut and hands in different places. did a lot of work on my position in the saddle. Why oh why wont she go for me on my own , long lines nicely, spent an hour just walking her around tonight after she refused to lunge for me, at the end she was walking trotting and standing next to me on voice commands. I think I will spend most time on groundwork to try and enjoy our time together.

Sorry for the moan, I just felt so desperately upset and at a loss.
getagrip
Super Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2019 at 10:23 PM

Firstly, sending hugz :hug: Thyme is probably planting because she thinks she can :stealth: If you can keep her moving by concentrating on groundwork and enjoying yourselves I would do just that and continue to have instruction and hopefully build on that and move things (literally) forward. Can understand you feeling :bawling::bawling::bawling: but try and think of it as a temporary glitch - it's always difficult when ponies are not in regular work. You WILL get there again :bighug:

Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 07:24 AM

Agree with Getagrip - she does it because she can. When a pony plants and you are leading them, you are told to pull them sideways to unbalance them so they have to take a steps which 'unsticks' them so try pulling her round with the reins. Or if she won't go forwards, have you tried backwards? That's harder for her so she will soon be pleased to go forwards. Or spurs? Just stick in there, she'll give up when she realises you mean it, which is often easier said than done :banghead:
Mags
Super Freak

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 01:37 PM

Oh dear. But don’t despair. My Connemara can be a bit of a planter if he hadn’t been ridden for a while. I adopt the method Rossie suggests. I make him go backwards. Then he has a think and sometimes still won’t go forwards. So I repeat. Also not letting him turn round which he’d like to do. Then we just sit and have another go. Good luck. Hope she improves. These highlands do like testing us. :o

[Edited on 6-2-2019 by Mags]
vakizz

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 01:45 PM

Agree with above and lots of hugs sent. I am always amazed at how these ponies completely pick up on what is going on in our heads. If I wanted to take Cara in the school I had to have a plan in my head and walk it through in my mind so I knew exactly what I was doing. If I didn't madam would just fanny about and be so silly. It wasn't anything complicated, with long reining it would be, walk clockwise in big circle, anti-, then small circles, serpentines. If she was being really silly if it was windy, I would either walk or long rein her around jumps that were already out, weaving back and forth and turning quite tightly so she didn't really know what I wanted, but she knew that I knew I had a program. I would also put poles out in a fan shape or like and use them to work her brain. You need to visualise exactly what you want her to do and really mean it when you tell her. I do know exactly what you are going through as we have really only come together over the past few years in my current yard, where I was fortunate enough to ride with yard owner a few times, and she would say, don't let her do that, give her a wallop, kick her on, once I realised I could do it without any effects she stopped messing and now leads in front all the way, rarely spooks or looks for things. Can you get someone to come out with you who is sensible and will look after you, you will get through this it just takes time and the right kind of support. Get some rescue remedy too and have a squirt before you start. :bighug::bighug::bighug: If its a consulation I have had two chaps came out supposedly to help me get Cara driving, we had done loads of long reining and she was as good as gold, but with both these blokes, she just turned in or stood there and looked at them as if to say, got your number:heh hee: I didn't ask them to help me further.

[Edited on 6-2-2019 by vakizz]
Jenni
Super Freak

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 05:55 PM

Nothing to add to the above helpful suggestions but sending sympathy and hugs. I'm sure you will manage to work through this.
:bighug::bighug::bighug:
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 04:08 PM

Some really helpful suggestions so nothing different to add but keep trying - determination is the key and being really quick to ask for something else - transitions are brilliant - if you feel the handbrake coming on. Once they are stationary it can take a bulldozer to shift them but maybe try being quicker than her. A smart trot in a different direction if you feel even a hint sometimes snaps them out of it.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 12:35 PM

Very helpful advice here. It does take a while once they have been off work for them to realise they have not, in fact, retired ... Can't over estimate the importance of a " we can and we will" mindset.

Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 9-2-2019 at 03:33 PM

Great advice.

I always go back to ground work when I have problems easier to get a fast response x
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 10:54 PM

This last Sunday was a disaster. Instructor lunged her first and she was good, I got on and we did some more seat work on the lunge line and was good. We then changed the rein and she stood still, refused to move. My instructor got on and she still wouldn't budge. Finally got her to go backwards and then walk but still objecting, finally had a short trot and canter and then finished on a good note. Think she may be in season as next door and opposite are. We have realised the only indication of a season is to be even more lethargic. Have done ground work since
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 11:04 AM

At least you know it's not just you then :) I don't suppose she has any medical issues - saddle fit, teeth? Although it sounds just like Mac, trying to push the boundaries back

Go To Top