Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thyme up to old tricks
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 04:34 PM
Thyme up to old tricks

Got her out of the field for a little walk and trot as a confidence booster. I am alright with my instructor but on my own still a bit of a wimp. Mounted and the battle started eventually had a just about moderate walk but major battle for a trot so having asked had to carry on. Head shakes, feet stamp etc but no attempt to dump me. Eventually managed two short reasonable trots so left it at that and took her to indoor for another short trot. Total time 90 minutes

As I got more and more cross and frustrated all nerves disappeared. Lesson tomorrow so if the wind is not too bad hope to go into the jump field where she will be much less fed up
vakizz

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 04:55 PM

Oh dear, she does have attitude. Mine used to do the sashaying about and being silly, I was always worried about what she might do if I gave a tap with my crop, until I came to my current yard and went out with yard owner who just said, don't let her do that, kick her on, sort her out, it certainly worked. She just needed to be told I was in control and not to fanny about and once I knew she wasn't going to dump me we went from strength to strength. Hopefully Thyme will do the same. Confidence is such a tricky thing. Having a good instructor or supporter is so helpful. I always hear mine's voice in my head from that while ago and it really helps. :bighug:
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 05:40 PM

Thyme does get a good whack but dosnt seem to feel it. She may be in season but the only indication which we have only recently noticed is she is even more lethargic than usual. Thanks Vakizz I will get myself more mentally motivated.
getagrip
Super Freak

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 05:53 PM

Well done for persevering - you did really well :clap: I have recently discovered that THREE very short sharp whacks in quick succession has a lot more impact ;) than just one. It's a bit tricky as you need to hold the reins with one hand for a bit longer but it certainly commanded a swift response :heh hee::heh hee:

Jenni
Super Freak

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 06:21 PM

Good that your nerves go when you get cross with her. I have also found that the occasional whack when they are mucking about helps. But no good if she doesn't take any notice. Hopefully she is just in season at the moment. :hug:
vakizz

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 08:11 PM

Actually it could be coat change too, Cara is quite lethargic at the moment and not doing her usual springing out walk. She often goes like this in the early Autumn. She was actually sweating when I came back from a short ride yesterday, I can see a bib and belly clip coming on very soon.
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 18-9-2018 at 07:15 AM

Thyme sounds just like Mac. He knows he can scare me so when I ask for trot he slams the brakes on, tosses his head and swishes his tail as if to say 'try that and I'll chuck you off'. He's had me off a couple of times in the past, the last time breaking a rib, so I'm a bit of a wimp. I do persist though, and he eventually gives in
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 18-9-2018 at 08:24 AM

well done you for sticking with you.:hug:

Agree with vakizz they can be a bit random at this time of year when coats are changing.
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 18-9-2018 at 08:37 AM

Vakizz I have just had two weeks away and she certainly looks quite fluffy. Not certain if she has put some weight on as well, the saddle doesn't go as tight.

Rossie we also had the dancing sideways and backwards but she never attempts to dump me. I always wear my Hit-Air Jacket which I got after damaging my pelvis. With my new knee I have been afraid of falling but that would be from a trip or little spook.

I will be positive for my lesson this afternoon in the gales.
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 19-9-2018 at 07:29 AM

Since he dumped me and I broke that rib, I've never ridden him without a body protector - OH bought it for me after the 'incident'. I'd love an air jacket but they are rather expensive. I know you can't put a price on health, but £400 is a bit much for me.

Go To Top