Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Still getting cold sweats....
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 06:16 AM
Still getting cold sweats....

..... the NYMNP volunteers built a lovely bridge across a boggy stream a few years ago. It was only needed because the keepers quads had destroyed the banks of the little stream which the ponies could step over easily & now it is a 30-40' wide boggy area. Sadly their bridge needed to be another 10' longer at either end so it is only useable in very dry weather. Also it does not have side rails :(
OH said now we have had this hot spell we ought to practice over it...it is very echo-y. So, knowing the dangerous cow eating ponies...Connie's description :) were elsewhere, off we went down the steep hill. Connies refused to set foot on it so I got off, told OH to stay just where he was on Darna, & over we went....all was good. Back again, then thought lets both go with about 10' between us as we would on a ride...outwards =OK but Darna had to go first on the return run....not enough dry ground, even now, on the far side to get Connie round Darna so Connie could go first. When our turn came Connie tried to get ahead of me, rushing to get to get back to Darna...Connie pushed me off the edge of the bridge & then, because I still had hold of the reins she followed me :eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek:
We fell down about 4-5' into the boggy mud, happily she did not land on top of me, happily we both went off the side where the ground was drier & a foot higher, one of her reins unsnapped from the bridle but she did not run off. We staggered back to the far side...it was closer & I checked her over, small drop of blood on RH fetlock but that was all I could find & happily my painful arthritic leg was no worse. We tried again & this time we walked calmly across. Got to the home side & Darna started doing her impression of a Lipizzaner :eeek::eeek::eeek: She was being attacked by flies, by now Connie was convinced the bridge must be about to rear up & eat her. Luckily she was down in a dip so I was only mounting a 12.2 after I had managed to lift my left foot into the stirrup & scramble aboard, all the time saying "STAND STILL" in my firm, loud voice :D We retreated back up the hill to a fly free area at speed but under control....just!
When I was able to inspect her closely at home Connie had little grazes on both hind fetlocks & she had partially torn one of the offside girth straps....happily it had not come undone on the ride home.
Next time we try that we will take Connie with Madge who is far less sensitive to flies.

Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 06:23 AM

EEek! :eeek: That could have been nasty.
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 06:31 AM

:eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek: Omg that was probably a lot more eventful than you planned! Thank goodness that you are both ok.:hug:
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 07:52 AM

Glad your ok that could have been very nasty :hug:
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 10:47 AM

Glad you were all relatively unscathed, could have been very nasty.
vakizz

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 01:15 PM

:eeek: Lot braver than me. Next time OH has a good idea.......... Glad you survived though with only a few scrapes and bruises. We have a narrow bridge near us, which I am often being told they used to ride across to go to the next village, it does have sides though, but I'm not sure a round hippo would get through, so I have never risked it.:bighug::bighug::bighug:
getagrip
Super Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 09:26 PM

:eeek: :eeek: :eeek: Sounds VERY scary :help: Glad all OK :)

Go To Top