Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Today's lesson at a PR
L-J
Super Hero

smile.gif posted on 14-7-2018 at 03:02 PM
Today's lesson at a PR

Today it was the Aram Grange PR run by B&WY PC. A lovely flat route near Thirsk with fabulous off road tracks which were baked dry & had huge cracks thanks to the heat wave!
Thanks to our SBT having an upset tummy(happily their beds are in a tiled hallway) we set off much later than planned so ended up starting our ride at 10.52am. Today's mounts were Angus....his birthday treat :D he was 11yo yesterday, and Madge.
The first "experience" came soon after the start...Angus is not brave about cows as he was chased by some Galloways a few years ago, Ed fell off and that spooked Angus even more. A group of beef cattle were standing in a gateway near the pond we were riding past...they obviously fancied coming through for a drink....happily Madge is brave about cows & led the way driving them back into their field. Angus coped with them cavorting, clever boy :)
Madge and Angus had slosh bottles clipped to their saddles, Madge had a little slosh every km after the third km and Angus being cream dun coped better with the sun & enjoyed a couple of sloshes. We were only doing 12km which is the furthest Angus has been, so glad we regularly ride at lunchtime & that they are used to hacking out in the heat. The ladies at CP1 had lots of sloshes & drinks ....both ponies were doused with 3l cool water & wet their lips which invigorated them :)
Then came Madge's "bete noir"="bete porcine"...I knew there was a pig farm near the end, happily Madge also knew temporary home AKA the trailer was only 2km away so we got quite close before I had to get off & lead her. Angus did not bother at all :banana:
:banana: Madge was OK once I was leading her, I was a little worried about re-mounting due to my gammy left leg, Madge was tired so stood like a rock as I lifted my left foot to the stirrup with my right hand then crawled aboard, she is a good mare.
Up until that point we had been on time averaging 8k/h but then the wind dropped & it was very hot so we walked the last 2km. By the time we got to the trailer where they had lovely sloppy feeds waiting for them, they were barely puffing :) Even so they were well sloshed.
Angus can be a bad loader & he did resist a bit but the power of Horsylyx was stronger :D My shirt was decorated with brown splodges by the time he had had a good schlurp as a reward for loading:)
Very proud of them both:inlove:

vakizz

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 03:20 PM

well done for braving the heat, excellent ponies coping with the beasts of the world. Sounds great.:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Jenni
Super Freak

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 04:30 PM

Well done Madge and Angus. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Oh, and you and Ed of course. :heh hee:
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 05:20 PM

Well done to you all!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Gins all round - very cooling in this heat so I hear :heh hee::cool:
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 05:31 PM

Yes, looking forwards to a nice G&T once animals all fed :)

mirandaandhector
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 07:12 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Well done Madge & Angus, sounds like a very good day :)

Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 15-7-2018 at 07:24 AM

Well done - hope you enjoyed the G&T :clap::clap::clap:
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 15-7-2018 at 07:25 AM

PS yesterday was Mac's birthday too
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 15-7-2018 at 10:03 AM

Hope Ed is OK after his fall. Other than that sounds like a great day x