Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RAIN
Jenni
Super Freak

smile.gif posted on 1-7-2018 at 11:10 AM
RAIN

It's raining, at last. :banana::banana::banana:

It is proper rain too, not just a bit of useless drizzle. Hopefully we will finally get some grass growing in my desert of a field. :)
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 12:58 PM

I don't want to be the miserable one but I was baling my hay today - was baling....

I did want rain, I'll admit, like you Jenni, I've seen lusher deserts than my paddocks at the moment. At 6am this morning the clouds appeared along with a rather half-hearted drizzle but once everywhere was damp enough so that no baling could occur, it stopped. The clouds are still hanging about, dropping the odd spot every hour or so, and sniggering at me. Then to top it all, the Met office has issued first storm warning in 164 years (apparently) for hail :eeek: localised flooding :eeek::eeek: and strong winds coming in teatime for my lovely bit of Dorset.

:shutup: I'll say no more...

This is meant in a light hearted way as I am more than aware that there are other areas in this country that really, really, really need rain and lots of it. :bighug:

[Edited on 1-7-2018 by Midge]
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 01:46 PM

Midge what horrible timing hope you manage to get it in before it's ruined.
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 01:48 PM

Seems no forecast of rain here for next two weeks. Really need some to prevent more fires. Just spent the morning in the garden getting the ground soaked as suspect hosepipe ban may be in the offing. Will go to my allotment after seeing Thyme this evening and top up my water barrels and water my few veg and fruit bushes as I think the soft fruit is rather small and hard. Soil is sandy and dries very quickly

Did I read somewhere moors managed for shooting are more likely to burn or maybe the other way round
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 01:56 PM

Posted instead of review.Hope rain stops before your hay gets ruined Midge. Doesn't look as though any rain forecast for moors up here.
Jenni
Super Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 05:05 PM

Oh Midge, I am so sorry about your hay. I hope it can be rescued. :hug::hug::hug:
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 06:19 AM

Fingers crossed we'll miss further isolated showers forecast for today and tomorrow - I'm poised ready with my gloves on to make a dash :heh hee::heh hee:
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:00 AM

Oh dear Midge. Why does it rain where it's not wanted but not where it is? :banghead:
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:02 AM

Hope all goes well with the hay Midge. I must admit we are watering the paddock that the show sheep are corraled in. We have nowhere else suitable for them pre GYS as we have only just begun halter training the lambs....:eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek: ....This paddock has lots of pens to trap them in for easy capture for training. 1 week today we will be there getting ready to go in the ring from 10.30am on Tues 10th. We have sheep in 4 classes but not the first 2 classes....too much effort to take a mature or shearling ram!

Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 09:27 AM

Good luck L-J! Sounds like you'll have a handful!
vakizz

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 09:41 AM

Its either all or nothing, I know it must be horribly frustrating with the hay and I hope you manage to salvage it ok, but our field is just turning into a brown mass and no rain forecast again for this week unless apparently we are lucky with a thunderstorm. They have massive irrigators which pump water from the local waterworks over the back of us, onto the local turf fields, which they grow for posh places, I keep thinking it would be great to be able to wheel it across. A couple of years ago there was a big flood when they released too much water from the waterworks and the yard owner looked out of her bedroom window to see the whole place underwater, we could actually do with that happening now. We worked out the five horses are drinking a metal watertrough full a day, as the two are half-full at the end of the day. Good luck with your sheep L-J.:thumbs:

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by vakizz]
Lysander
Super Freak

Mood: icy toes

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 06:13 PM

We had a very short shower yesterday lasted about 10minutes,baking again today again today

Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 04:42 PM

Hay all in :banana: but sadly less than a third of what I got from the same area last year. So dry everywhere. There was blatant begging from the supervisors for anything that was surplus to need :heh hee::heh hee: but they now get to go on the hay field which will please them enormously.
Jenni
Super Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 05:19 AM

Hurrah, I'm so pleased you got your hay in Midge. :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 06:28 AM

Thanks Jenni :D

Its lovely hay but may turn out to be the most expensive I've made when I get the bill from the contractor - who is also the thatcher, bell ringer and Thomas Hardy film extra - its like that down here :cool:
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 06:49 AM

Great that your hay is in Midge

Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 07:29 AM

Hope you've got enough for the winter x
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 12:04 PM

Its been chucking it down here all day but that slow steady drizzle that soaks everything (including me) to the bone. I can almost hear the grass growing!

IP and Mac are trying to be invisible on the thin strip of hay field they've been allowed to graze - invisible so that I might forget that they are there and not move them back to the hungry strip later :heh hee:
vakizz

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 09:32 PM

I can't believe it, I looked up at the sky though and saw the clouds in their mare's tails mode which tells of rain to come, but nothing and nothing forecast here until a week on Saturday. The YO is away but there is nothing we can do, other than I am giving Cara a hard feed to to try and keep the roughage in. Everywhere is burnt and so dry.
getagrip
Super Freak

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 09:36 PM

Dry as a bone in the far north - my field sharer's ID was slipping when ridden out on very bare tracks yesterday - his frogs look like they've been polished. :dizzy:
Great you got hay in Midge :cool:

Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 06:42 AM

Damp and mizzly here again this morning - hills are hidden under cloud and there is rain forecast for later. Grass has grown a good six inches overnight (I am exaggerrating ;) ) and IP looks like Mrs Creosote this morning :heh hee:
bronagh
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 18-7-2018 at 01:29 PM

Still no rain here - ground like concrete and no grass at all. Think hay will be expensive this winter! No rain forecast for the rest of the month either ...

Go To Top