Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Floozy Miss Thyme and floods
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-6-2018 at 08:23 AM
Floozy Miss Thyme and floods

I didn't see Thyme on Saturday evening and last night when YO was bringing her in she was bouncing all over the place and prancing around the stable whinnying. Apparently she had been prancing up and down the field with her tail in the air and loved a two year old who had just been gelded in the stable near her. She had been the same Saturday evening very much in season To be fair quite a lot of the horses on the yard had been highly strung. Thymes seasons usually pass by unnoticed except for the fact she is even more lethargic, my instructor said if she was human she would be curled up on the sofa with a glass of wine, box of chocolates and a good film.

Probably irrelevant but the Leeds Liverpool canal runs through the YOs fields. Other side of canal his hay fields and turnout fields are by yard. A large culvert carrying grey water under the canal collapsed and it was like pulling the plug out of the canal. It flooded his hay fields and backed up the ditch running along the the turnout fields where Thyme is and flooded the bottom of them. there was fish and plastic waste everywhere. I did wonder if there had been something chemical in the grey water waste as it may have been quite concentrated as it first went into the fields.

The YO had two fields cut ready for baling the next day and all they could do was watch it drift by on the floods. YO thinks he has lost about 60 bales but fortunately quite a lot has been done and it was a good crop so almost has as many as last year. Just hope his fields have suffered no damage for next year.

A few boats moored waiting to go into Liverpool were grounded. Some on one side of the bridge where they could d**n the flow managed to get off but one below the bridge I think will be there until canal repaired. Their boat was broken into poor folks. A fence has been built round it to protect it. Could be three months before canal reopens.

It caused a panic to the Canal and River Trust as there was 27 miles of canal that would empty out if not d**ned quickly.

Obviously the forum doesn't recognise the difference between a structure that holds back water and a naughty word
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-6-2018 at 08:44 AM

:heh hee::heh
hee: for restoring the level of decency with asterix' :heh hee::heh hee::heh hee: I had the same when I discussed an excess of blood once!

The flooding sounds worrying. There's so much in waste water these days - synthetic hormones being one of the least dangerous from what I know :eeek::eeek:

A racehorse trainer I worked for had an extensive arable farm alongside the racing yard and it was his usual practice to empty the farm houses cess pits directly onto the crop fields, the headlands of which we would then gallop on. The smell was one thing but it was horrific if someone fell off. We used to laugh about it then but, on my goodness, if I knew then what I know now :eeek::eeek::eeek:
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-6-2018 at 06:53 PM

Think as I may have been at fault putting an n at the end of dam
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 20-6-2018 at 07:28 AM

Oh dear on so many fronts! Shame about loss of hay, possible contamination of fields and the boat break-in.
A lot of horses seem on their toes at the moment, maybe it's the weather?
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 20-6-2018 at 08:24 AM

Sound very dramatic. Makes me wonder my friend mare has been shocking in season this year and for weeks we where taking water up from home rather than well water when everything was frozen up. She's never had a problem before.

glad to here the forum is keeping us decent :heh hee:
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-6-2018 at 08:48 AM

Quite so, Katherine :heh hee::heh hee::heh hee:
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 21-6-2018 at 06:38 AM

There was a bit on TV the other night ref starlings who feed on sewage farms raise fewer chicks than those who feed on normal fields. Makes you wonder just how many drugs are going through the system!

Mags
Super Freak

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 21-6-2018 at 02:00 PM

I looked up the canal news. What a nightmare. And all that hay lost. A real disaster for your livery owner.
vakizz

[*] posted on 21-6-2018 at 05:18 PM

I think Cara has not been her usual self of late. She has given me so much confidence over the past couple of years, but I feel like I am sitting right on top. She is looking and being daft at really silly things that she just hasn't bothered with recently. I think it has been such a weird year growing wise, such a long winter then everything exploded and I think that goes for the hormones too. Mind you awful about the crops, heartbreaking for everyone concerned with losses. Is it covered in the local authority's insurance or waterways or like. Hope all the mares settle down soon. I want my nice placid girl back.:thumbs:

Go To Top