Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: For the first time since 5th July.....
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 18-12-2016 at 08:32 PM
For the first time since 5th July.....

.....I rode Connie solo today and she was such a good girl. I was not sure only getting to bed at 12.30am was good "prior & proper preparation" but next door were out so less traffic & it was lunchtime so all the local farmers would be indoors tucking into a roast!!! The roads were lovely & quiet...one car & 2 horses were all we met on our 30 min outing. We had a bit of head tossing when I asked for halt whilst heading for home, so I repeated the request every 30-40yds & only set off again once her head was still. Within 5 repeats the head tossing had gone... clever girlie. Now to keep my momentum going & keep solo hacking on Connie in 2017 & not to get sidetracked like I have been for the last 5 1/2 mos!!!!!

[Edited on 18-12-2016 by L-J]

Jenni
Super Freak

[*] posted on 18-12-2016 at 09:58 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-12-2016 at 08:28 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap:I had to start solo hacking all the time because my riding buddy emigrated and fitting in with other people's riding schedules wasn't easy. When first started IP was the sort of girl who morphed into a trekking pony when allowed to go behind a group so now we are much more independent. I aimed for police horse and, almost always, that's what we have :P (It has taken quite a few frustrating incidents to get there though and we do still have the occasional flounce! Usually when I'm dozing.)
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 19-12-2016 at 09:53 AM

:clap::clap::clap: I admire your bravery :)
vakizz

[*] posted on 19-12-2016 at 12:17 PM

Likewise. Well done :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Kingsmoor

[*] posted on 19-12-2016 at 06:20 PM

Well done!!

bronagh
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-12-2016 at 07:54 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
barnowl
Super Freak

[*] posted on 19-12-2016 at 08:07 PM

So well done.
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 20-12-2016 at 11:05 AM

Or glad she was so good.

I do like the sound of staying in bed till 12.30 :D

Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 30-12-2016 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Katherine  
Or glad she was so good.

I do like the sound of staying in bed till 12.30 :D

I think LJ might too :heh hee:

Lysander
Super Freak

Mood: icy toes

[*] posted on 31-12-2016 at 11:21 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

[URL=http://s546.photobucket.com/user/lysander98_2009/media/1422901651427.jpg.html][IMG]http://i546.photobucket.com/album
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Midge  
When first started IP was the sort of girl who morphed into a trekking pony when allowed to go behind a group so now we are much more independent.

...what a good description , yes, that's exactly what Rannoch is like . He'd much prefer to tag along and let another pony take responsibility than lead a ride! As you say, you have to work on the solo rides and also , I guess, work on the rides in company to bully then to take the lead. I find the later harder to do when riding with an Icelandic than with another highland though...unless we have passed the three quarter way mark when suddenly like Colonel Haffie in Jungle book , Rannoch is happy to take charge as if to say "herhum, I'll take it from here"!

[Edited on 4-1-2017 by Jeanette]
Mags
Super Freak

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jeanette  
Quote: Originally posted by Midge  
When first started IP was the sort of girl who morphed into a trekking pony when allowed to go behind a group so now we are much more independent.

...what a good description , yes, that's exactly what Rannoch is like . He'd much prefer to tag along and let another pony take responsibility than lead a ride! As you say, you have to work on the solo rides and also , I guess, work on the rides in company to bully then to take the lead. I find the later harder to do when riding with an Icelandic than with another highland though...unless we have passed the three quarter way mark when suddenly like Colonel Haffie in Jungle book , Rannoch is happy to take charge as if to say "herhum, I'll take it from here"!

I think it's in their genes. Fingal is the same in company if the lead horse stops will he heck take the lead. A bit of pony club whacking can get him going but it's not pretty so I'm afraid I often just let someone else take lead responsibility. But he will hack out happily solo, if a tad spooky. :eeek:

[Edited on 4-1-2017 by Jeanette]

[Edited on 4-1-2017 by Mags]
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 08:11 PM

Maddy will always take the lead and often sulks and scuffs her heels along if made to go behind. She would probably be brilliant solo hacking if I did more of it - after our incident with the motorbikes I lost my nerve and have never quite regained it. Humph has very definite views on leading and solo hacking and always has - much more comfortable behind and in company - but if he is out with others (especially mares) and we meet something they won't pass he will often saunter to the front and lead them past. When out with Maddy he will lead stretches of the route which are new to her and then slip back behind when she gets onto familiar ground. They are endlessly fascinating. The group of us who hack often observe that there are complex herd hierarchies being worked out on hacks - certain ponies just point blank refuse to pass or follow other ponies.

Go To Top