Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Forward into walk
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-7-2016 at 01:30 PM
Forward into walk

One of my instructor's recurring themes is "forward into walk" or "forward into halt". Rannoch and I are not very good at this. In his opinion and mine if you are asked go from a trot to walk you need to slow down, drop your energy and generally breath out a sign of relief that less work is being required of you.

It's the same ridden or on the lunge. In fact on the lunge since so much of our lunging has been taught with treats a request
to walk given whilst he is in trot generally produces a speedy drop down to walk, a few rolling steps of walk and then stopping all feet wherever they land and a quizzcial sideways look at me to se if there might be a treat on offer.

But this morning I think I might have cracked it!

I put out two trot poles in one corner of the sandschool (arranged on a curve) and instead of lunging him from the usual distance I walked him round in a circle with me marching right by his side. As we approached the poles I asked him to trot (but carried on marching myself) and then immediately after the poles asked him to walk and again kept marching myself at the same speed myself. If he didn't drop into walk from trot after the poles I gave him a little tug on the rope halter. There was no chance for him to stand and look quizzically at me and actually he was quite puffed after several circuits of this...(as was I).

I suspect that instead of a trot over the poles we might have had a little jog , but he did clear the poles and the walk had the same energy as the trot...so maybe this is an exercise to stay with for a little while to see what comes of it!

Thinking about the whole exercise now at my desk at work though it reminds me of being a toddler when my mother was on a mission to get to whereever we were going fast. She'd hold my hand and march out and every so often I'd have to
put in a few skips to keep up!

[Edited on 12-7-2016 by Jeanette]
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-7-2016 at 05:14 PM

Very interesting. I was taught and do in fact teach the 'forward to' command for transitions, upward or downward if you like, as it keeps that energy going in the rider's mind and, therefore, the horse's too. It avoids the mental 'drop' into walk from a pinging trot where everything falls apart and goes flat. Using direct transitions such as trot to halt and vice versa or canter to walk etc keeps that energy tight and available. All that said, its taking a while to get Iona to oblige into something that resembles a tidy transition :heh hee: I may now get the poles out!

I like the visual of the holding hands too - I'll own up to doing exactly that with my children when they were small to avoid any deviations when shopping :stealth:
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 13-7-2016 at 08:07 AM

Yep that lift in to walk is hard to achieve I really like direct transitions walk to canter and canter to walk to get it all marchy and poles really do help. Think I need to get some lessons booked over the winter in readiness for backing Rory next year.

As for the keeping up with mum walk as I'm only 5 foot I still have to do that as every one is so much taller than me:blush:

Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 13-7-2016 at 09:59 AM

:blush:

Go To Top