Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: R H Y - T H Y M, R H Y - T H Y M
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 27-5-2016 at 02:14 PM
R H Y - T H Y M, R H Y - T H Y M

My favourite rider instructor now lives in Spain but is over here for a few weeks, so I'm having
a block of lessons with her and trying quite hard to get the homework done in between lessons!

I'm finding it rather good to have that sort of motivation. When the duvet feels too heavy in the
morning I remind myself that she is not here for long!

She is schooling Rannoch and teaching me on Jack, but the homework has to be done on both of them

When she is schooling Rannoch she gives me a running commentary of what she is saying to herself (she very kindly wears
a microphone round her neck which feeds directly into my hearing aids so I can hear it all without her having to shout or look at me).
It's quite enlightening. That supreme calm of an experienced rider is just an image, there is
clearly constant self tuition going on!!

She is working on bringing Rannoch's outline up. He's ten now and she thinks he's been doing
long and low for long enough and doesn't need that work anymore.

Riding him round the school she started on herself....lift your chest (but leave your shoulders dropped
and relaxed) ...which got him lifting the base of his neck initially and then his chest and then
R H Y - T H Y M, R H Y - T H Y M, ...in fact she was chanting the
words slowly to herself. After that everything was outside aids ...180 degree turns on the haunches at
the fence line using only outside aids, then quarter turns in a square, again using only the outside rein,
her outside leg and turning her body the way she wanted him to go.

When all this was done Rannoch brought himself into a natural lifted outline and gave her the bounciest canter I've ever seen him do.
She had a contact on the reins but she also showed me by giving away the contact frequently how little of it had been achieved
with the reins...it was almost all to do with asking him to match her posture and rhythm.

At the end of Rannoch's schooling lesson she said to me that she thought Rannoch had enjoyed it and I have to say, I think he did. He certainly looked very proud of himself!

My lesson on Jack we didn't do all of that but we did focus on lifting the chest and rhythm. It's a very useful word
to chant. Being two syllables you can time the two syllables to each hind leg coming through and that's when I
realised (even more clearly than I already knew) that I don't allow the left hind to come through
as much as the right hind and that I have a tendency to try to rush the walk. All very interesting...and amazing what a difference lifting your chest
(without poking your assets out) makes to the pony and how much harder they have to work their hindquarters
when you do lift your chest and really focus on a slow rhythym.

[Edited on 27-5-2016 by Jeanette]
vakizz

[*] posted on 27-5-2016 at 03:22 PM

Thats interesting, I am trying to sort out some exercises to try and get Cara to raise her head and get that big muscle along the back strengthened and working properly. I like the idea of having info going directly to you. Sounds like a really positive session.:clap::clap::clap:
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-5-2016 at 06:18 PM

More useful ideas for me I shall try lifting my chest, I do drop forward, always being told to sit up and look up and ahead.
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 27-5-2016 at 07:43 PM

That sounds really interesting and what a great instructor. We had some mounted pilates work at highland and fell camp and had to tuck our tummies under our ribs. Weird but did wonders for pony posture when human posture changed!

Andrea
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-5-2016 at 08:24 PM

I have to ask - how do you lift your chest without poking your assets out?!:D
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-5-2016 at 05:50 AM

Andrea, you'll have to practice in front of a mirror when you are in your bra and knickers!!! Try just ramming your shoulders back, then try engaging the upper part of your stomach and lengthening the back of the neck. I know this sounds geeky but do it for me anyway :heh hee:
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-5-2016 at 06:01 AM

I like the sound of your Pilates on horseback session at camp Rebecca.

I've stopped going to my Pilates did horse riders class because I'm worried that if I relax too much in a public place I'll start blubbing for my mother so instead I've been practising this lifting the chest idea as I hack Rannoch out. Jack gets towed along too on these hacks . After a week of doing this my tummy has vertical lines running down each side :heh hee:
Midge
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-5-2016 at 08:31 AM

When you are thinking of lifting your chest, if you also, how do I put this delicately....bear down a little....you will also engage your deep core muscles and your lower back. (A Mary Wanless suggestion :blush:) This helps to correct a forward tipping of the pelvis, absorbs the movement through the lower back and lightens the seat - keeps the 'pedalling duck' in position too ;)

That self carriage with power that Rannoch produced is exactly what I'm aiming for with Iona. I get little glimpses every now and then but its not yet consistent or reliable.

I've had 2 c-sections so abs are a mess but these techniques have helped regain a 'suggestion' of a six pack and the scar tissue looks like a smile now rather than something from Lord of the Rings:heh hee::heh hee: Its just the tight hips that get in the way now!

Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 28-5-2016 at 06:26 PM

Good suggestions. Jeanette, the Pilates on horseback was not as helpful as I had hoped it would be as instructor was very anti centred riding approaches such as Sally Swift and Mary Wanless, which I find very helpful, so some of the directions felt very counter intuitive. I guess we each have to work to find what works for us. You sound to have some very good instructors.

Go To Top