Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tripping
Lysander
Super Freak

Mood: icy toes

[*] posted on 25-3-2016 at 12:04 PM
Tripping

Sandy's been back in work for a couple of weeks now,he was tripping a lot to begin with,but after having his feet done he's been a lot better.My instructor, Emma, says he does it when his back end isn't underneath him.At the moment it's only at trot but we will be progressing to canter and I'm worried that I won't be able to stay aboard if he trips at canter

[URL=http://s546.photobucket.com/user/lysander98_2009/media/1422901651427.jpg.html][IMG]http://i546.photobucket.com/album
vakizz

[*] posted on 25-3-2016 at 03:49 PM

Interesting as Cara tends to trip, she isn't fit at all at the moment, we have ridden spasmodically through the winter and although she has lost lots of weight, she certainly hasn't much in the way of muscle, so that makes sense. I'm hoping once the weather settles down and I can stop spending ages clearing out the stall the two mares use as a large litter tray, by which time I am shattered I will have more time to get her fit. But yes it does make you feel a bit oooer, but I remember riding out with yard owner and she said let her do it and sort her own feet out, not sure I'm brave enough.:umm?:
Should have said its more when we walk, but occasionally trot. She never did it when we cantered last year.

[Edited on 25-3-2016 by vakizz]
Mags
Super Freak

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 26-3-2016 at 01:05 PM

I had one that tripped terribly in trot but he never did in canter. Consequently it was much easier to canter more. It's very unnerving tripping but perhaps your farrier can help somewhat. So perhaps try not to worry about tripping in canter - in trot they seem to just skim their toes along the ground rather than 'use them' properly then catch their toe and trip. Hope you can improve things.
Helen

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 12:57 PM

Mr B is a mountain goat when it comes to rough terrain and can get himself up and down the worst possible tracks yet can trip over a non existent pebble on flat tarmac... think he does it just for effect! He definitely does it when he's not paying attention or being idle. He also used to do it in the school but now he's a lot fitter and working in a much more active way he doesn't do it. He's never done it in canter.

We did though face plant a track in trot last year and we both hit the deck. At the time he was arguing with me about having an active trot and I have to say since that day he hasn't done it in trot. He's also a lot worse when his toes have got long just before he's reshod so in summer he usually gets shod every 5 weeks and this has seemed to helped.
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 01:57 PM

Would you consider using a Rstorr? One of our liveries has one for her lively little pony and it looks good - might help you stay put if he does trip?

Go To Top