Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Long slow trots
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 25-1-2016 at 10:31 AM
Long slow trots

When I last saw my favourite instructor she set me an exercise route. My friend and I tried it this weekend. It's one of the routes my instructor
used to use when fittening hunters. It includes a flat off road stretch along the old railway line and a road hill. The road hill is not especially steep
but it goes on forever as it gradually winds out of the valley and up onto the brow of the hill. The instructions were that the ride was basically to be done at a slow trot.
Fifteen minutes into the road and both riders were really feeling it in our hips! The hill was killing. I hadn't really appreciated just how hard slow trot is for the rider before this point!
I really had to focus on using my core to balance at the top of the rise at trot without being tenmpted to balance on the reins and so as not to collapse.
Rannoch managed it and even looked pretty nice for much of it. When we got to the top he wasn't heaving
but the heat coming up through the saddle was very noticeable, steam was coming off both horses and despite having a blanket clip Rannoch's
face was wet through and his mouth foaming. Poor lamb!

My friend's icelandic tried to quicken up for the last third of the hill. It reminded me of that saying about writing a long letter because
you didn't have time to make it shorter...in horsey exercise terms I think it amounts to "we had to go quickly up the hill because we didn't have the
energy to go slowly! "
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 25-1-2016 at 12:52 PM

Sounds a geat fittening exercise for hose & rider

vakizz

[*] posted on 25-1-2016 at 06:08 PM

We have a small bit on one of our rides where we trot up a hill and Cara will often break into a few strides of canter. She really doesn't like trotting uphill at all so I'm guessing it is hard work :bighug:
Sally

[*] posted on 25-1-2016 at 06:19 PM

Ah yes, we have lots of long climby hills around us which are excellent for getting the beans out of bouncy ponies. One particular nasty one is called The Chute - a steep wooded mini ravine. Rabbit loves to gallop full pelt bottom to top and get the beastly thing over with but I make her walk or slow trot it at the moment to increase the fittening effect and boy does she hate that V.v.v hard work for her. She usually tries to stop and look at the view two-thirds of the way up. There is little bend at the top followed by another short, sharp hill - usually let her canter/scramble the last little bit because I can feel her losing the will to live :heh hee: let's just say she's not the only one puffing at the top :whistle:
Andrea
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-1-2016 at 06:21 PM

Very interesting. Rannoch is obviously seriously fit:clap::clap: Nutmeg enjoys trotting but I haven't tried long slow trotting before. We often go for long slow cantering as a strengthening exercise, but I'm going to try it at the trot. It'll be easier to find suitable places as well. Thank you, Jeanette :)
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 25-1-2016 at 07:30 PM

Interesting exercise.

Baily
Posting Freak

Mood: Retired!

[*] posted on 26-1-2016 at 09:53 AM

I see you and Milton and Sally all entered for 'Snowdrop' ride, sounds like fit tending regime well under way :clap::clap:

Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 26-1-2016 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Baily  
I see you and Milton and Sally all entered for 'Snowdrop' ride, sounds like fit tending regime well under way :clap::clap:

Ah ha!

How do you know that Glenda? Is there a website showing entrants or are you helping at the ride?
Sally

[*] posted on 26-1-2016 at 06:44 PM

I suspect Rannoch will be a speck on the horizon that Rabs and I will be squinting to see. She has got to learn to conserve energy...multiple fly bucks at the first hint of a canter is not a good use of energy. She is fit...to burst though mainly:heh hee:
Rachel W
Advanced Member

[*] posted on 26-1-2016 at 07:43 PM

Interesting - you both must be very fit to be able to 15 minutes :clap::clap:
Val S.
Super Freak

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 10:37 AM

One of the lanes we ride round has a very steep hill, and Mac would much rather trot up than walk .
Baily
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 11:59 AM

Jeanette, I saw a list on the FB page, I will try and find and email. Think it's great so over subscribed that they running two days. I can't help as at Bicton TREC on 13th and 14th. Also tenth anniversary for Mr B and me, so will be reminiscing of Highland Pony wedding on Mull.

I won an associate membership to Wessex Group at the equine event....sorry to Milton and Sally as they put their slips in the box at same time as me. Do hope I get to use before we move as will be SERC up in Scotland.

Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 04:29 PM

Ah. Are you all sold up now in exmoor?
Baily
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 09:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Baily  
Jeanette, I saw a list on the FB page, I will try and find and email. Think it's great so over subscribed that they running two days. I can't help as at Bicton TREC on 13th and 14th. Also tenth anniversary for Mr B and me, so will be reminiscing of Highland Pony wedding on Mull.

I won an associate membership to Wessex Group at the equine event....sorry to Milton and Sally as they put their slips in the box at same time as me. Do hope I get to use.

Go To Top