Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thermal imaging
Kingsmoor

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 07:02 PM
Thermal imaging

Have any of you used this? I am at my wits end with Holly - she is up and down (at the moment more down) and I am wondering whether a thermal image would show us her sore spots and help to treat them.

Mags
Super Freak

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 07:28 PM

You can get a thermal camera app for your phone, a free one, (if you have a modern phone). Might be useful to just download one and have a play and see what you can see.
Veronica
Super Freak

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 09:40 PM

What will they think of next! Hope it works for you and Holly
Rossie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 07:24 AM

I was told by my physio that the cheap / free ones are useless as they only pick up skin temperature, not the deeper structures?
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 08:28 AM

We had a lady come to talk at a bridleways on thermal imaging it did look very interesting. It was recommended in conjunction with vets/physio treatment but looked to give good results.

Certainly worth a go if nothing else is telling what the problem is

Mags
Super Freak

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossie  
I was told by my physio that the cheap / free ones are useless as they only pick up skin temperature, not the deeper structures?

That's probably true. But if slight heat in the deeper structures might there would be slight difference in the skin temp particularly on legs where not much internal stuff. I haven't got one by the way. But did see someone's and it was certainly interesting.
MoiraR
Advanced Member

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 01:48 PM

Lass at my yard was training to use the thermal camera system and brought it home for a practice and play, no use with anything thicker than a thoroughbred summer coat, anything else you have to clip, and this camera cost thousands.

MoiraR
Advanced Member

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 01:49 PM

Lass at my yard was training to use the thermal camera system and brought it home for a practice and play, no use with anything thicker than a thoroughbred summer coat, anything else you have to clip, and this camera cost thousands.

Kingsmoor

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 06:52 PM

This would be with Veterinary support - I was just wondering what the thoughts were. A friend who is a veterinary nurse tells me that it was used satisfactorily on her horse at Liphook but I cannot take Holly away from the farm - all this started with an accident in the lorry and I have not managed to get her well enough to travel since. I rang the Vet this morning and left a message - waiting to hear back.

I have got her nearly right on several occasions and then something else happens! She is cheerful and eating and although not sound does not seem to be suffering so I will plough on for as long as I can. To be honest at the moment whatever decision I made on all this would be the "wrong" one as I have so much other stuff going on so for now I will just look to do what I can to sort it out! Holly is just the most special little pony you could ever come across - she is so sweet and loving!!

mirandaandhector
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-10-2015 at 07:42 AM

My instructor's OH has been involved in the design/manufacture of thermal imaging cameras, so have been lucky enough to see them developing cameras for use in the equine market - the technology in this case has historically been used in various safety/ fire prevention applications so is very sensitive. I have to say I have been very impressed with what I have seen, has been used quite successfully in terms of pinpointing various issues on a range of types of horses.

Hels

Mood: Aim for the moon , if you miss you will fall amongst the stars

[*] posted on 20-10-2015 at 04:18 PM

Friends instructors does it and has some great results, worth trying!

Balleroy Mercury,Sea Pearl of Conway, Lord Mars of Warren and Lochlands Moonshadow.
Julie
Super Hero

[*] posted on 20-10-2015 at 07:24 PM

Have looked at this a lot and done some work with the top vet trainers. The work is not useful for saddle fitting and the skill is in reading the information. It's not useful for anything much below the surface. What's up with Holly, I have missed this!

karenb

[*] posted on 17-11-2015 at 07:53 PM

nina i have sent you a message on facebook. i have used it and the lady came out to us
Kingsmoor

[*] posted on 18-11-2015 at 08:13 PM

I had Holly "imaged" a fortnight ago and have the results back today. I will let my vet talk it over with me and share the outcome with you all! In the mean time the "imaging" seems to have had a stunning effect on Holly and she has rallied yet again from barely able to hobble to cantering up the field!! I think she likes me to spend a lot of money on her!!!

L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 19-11-2015 at 12:18 AM

Not sure it is meant to be therapeutic rather than diagnostic but do not tell Holly this:heh hee::heh hee::heh hee::heh hee: In small animal work we sometimes give dogs or cats with digestive problems barium liquid to outline the guts and we do sequential xrays over many hours to follow the barium through the guts from oesophagus to rectum. This is meant to be purely diagnositic but for many cases it seems to be curative too:heh hee::heh hee::heh hee::heh hee::heh hee::heh hee::heh hee: Mind you barium is related to kaolin:D Does thermal imaging have a soothing/heating effect on underlying structures????

Kingsmoor

[*] posted on 20-11-2015 at 08:59 PM

L-J - I won't tell her - but what you say is so interesting!! I have got Holly so nearly right on half a dozen occasions and then she has gone backwards again! u2u me your e mail address and I will send you the report - it may interest you!! My next idea is a bracelet for her! and Karen suggested some tests on her hair!!

JoandZef
Advanced Member

[*] posted on 26-11-2015 at 12:15 PM

I seem to remember Kirsty Wilde aka Erminstrudl posting some thermal imaging photos of her pony's back ages ago - it might be worth contacting her too.

Zephyr & Ted - Tasha, Tanni & Trudi
Kingsmoor

[*] posted on 27-11-2015 at 06:29 PM

My vet and farrier are both away on courses at the moment. I sent them both a text yesterday telling them how much better Holly is at the moment (she has been quite naughty - not wanting to be caught and running off!!) and wondering what their thoughts were on the thermal image report which they had both had. They will both be speaking to me when they get back next week but my vet has also referred the report on to one of his colleagues on his course. So I will let you all have a good update when I know more.

Go To Top