Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Teabreak for a working chap...
ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-7-2015 at 06:25 PM
Teabreak for a working chap...

Mr W and I have just been to Monmouthshire for a couple of days horse logging training with the lovely Kate who is currently chair of the British Horse Logging Society. Last autumn when we last saw her was when Wheatear was so terrified by the clanking of the metal swingletree and chain that he jumped the 3ft fence out of the schooling paddock in full draft harness, so we weren't sure how this would go, and I asked Kate to tell me at the end if she thought he'd realistically make a working horse, as not all do of course. I needn't have worried as he was an absolute star from the minute he stepped into the trailer without any hesitation to the minute we got home and Kate has decreed him a different pony from the one she met last year. The thing that pleased me most was that we went to the wood she works down the road, he crashed through all the brash on the ground from felling, crunched through branches and brambles, turned on the spot like a pro and generally acted on (almost) all my voice commands (the horseflies were ferocious yesterday so he was forgiven!). This was the pony who bucked me off a couple of years ago when he slipped off a cone base and panicked, so the fact he's so happy with such unstable ground is fantastic. As you know, he hasn't been the easiest but I feel we've really got somewhere now and given that the hacking round here is so utterly rubbish, I think we'll stick to the woods.
This is him having a well earned break from having had to do things like back round bending poles in blinkers in the paddock so he's completely reliant on my voice - quite hard work for him I should think. The working horses just have their bridle taken off and hung from the hames with the lines when they stop - very practical!

vakizz

[*] posted on 16-7-2015 at 06:35 PM

Well done, thats fantastic. Glad he's taken to the logging well. Its such a lovely thing to do under harness, another way of working.:clap::clap:
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-7-2015 at 07:07 PM

I remember him jumping out of the school in full harness and also you being bucked off. It makes it all the more special to read his school report from the weekend. What a difference. He's just stopped arguing and realised that the easiest thing is simply to do as he's asked . Result . Lovely feeling for you. He's bought himself a reprieve and you need not let the silly sod go ( your words not mine !)
ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-7-2015 at 07:09 PM

No...decided today he can stay!

ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-7-2015 at 07:18 PM

even though he is a silly sod...

Rachel W
Advanced Member

[*] posted on 16-7-2015 at 08:14 PM

Wow, he looks fantastic - looks like having a proper job is the making of him :clap::clap::clap:
barnowl
Super Freak

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 04:55 AM

Just wonderful news. Lovely photo too/ You must be relieved and pleased .
welshflora
Super Freak

Mood: positive

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 05:34 AM

It's lovely news. It certainly hasn't been an easy ride but it just goes to show that even the silly sods can find their niche! You've worked wonders. :clap:

L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 06:18 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: brilliant news & great photo, you have both done so well:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 06:44 AM

I am so glad for you and Mr W.
He looks lovely
ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 07:26 AM

Thanks all! The funny thing is that my battle for the last three years has been to get him to go forwards and keep a good pace in walk, but Kate was telling me that she's been to Sweden to do some training recently and the trainer made them all go back to basics and get the horse they were working with to walk as slowly as possible without stopping - the having control of each footfall thing which I can see could be essential. I could almost hear Wheatear saying 'Really? Make your mind up' when I was telling him he was walking too fast!

Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 08:33 AM

Wow I'm so impresses. Good on you for not giving in when it would have been so easy.

Keep it up your inspirational :hug:

Hazel T
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 09:01 AM

Wow well done, what a great achievement for you both, how lovely to hear that it's all working out and coming together,,good for you for persevering :clap::clap:
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 02:00 PM

I found this made me quite tearful :bawling: :bawling: You have had such a struggle with this boy and yet there has been something keeping you in there determined to make it work. And it seems like he has found his thing - Kelly Marks wrote about everybody and every animal having at least one thing they are really, really good at and needing to hold onto that when you are being overwhelmed by what is going wrong or not (yet) going right. I am sure the logging will give you a solid foundation to build everything else on. I am thrilled for you both. :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Tom

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 02:05 PM

Sounds like he has really turned a corner - well done both of you
ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 02:14 PM

Thanks Rebecca - that's really sweet!

Andrea
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-7-2015 at 05:27 PM

:clap::clap::clap:lovely post - great to hear Mr W is going so well. All credit to you for persevering:clap::clap:

Go To Top