Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Neat little exercise
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 12:49 PM
Neat little exercise

I had a lesson on Jack yesterday morning with the lady who has helped me so much with Rannoch's canter.

It's the first time she's seen Jack in the flesh.

I thought the lesson might be a bit of walk, a bit of trot, go large , a bit of canter,
pull me up on my position and that would be it for the first lesson on a young pony.

Nope! She'd clearly decided that she was going to have me ride Jack "properly" and
working from behind right from the word go.

We worked in the bottom third of the school (approx 20 by 20 section ) and she stood in the middle of it.
We then had to ride a series of left rein 10 metre circles in each quadrant of the working area
avoiding her and joined up by straight bits in between. Once I'd completed a
10 metre circle in each quadrant of our working area I had to change the rein by
riding straight down the centre line and then turn onto the right rein and repeat the same
pattern.

I've had a go at drawing it using posh letters (but we don't use letters in the lesson
because my dodgy hearing means that B and Es all sound the same to me and frankly
I can't remember where they all are anyway and had to look the letters up to do the drawing!).

The "point" wasn't to get Jack in an outline but just to get accurate circles and to maintain a steady rhythm (and
not rush it!) Jack did however come into an outline as soon as I got my balance and relaxed my shoulders.
Jack really is very different from Rannoch to ride and I had been feeling like
there was not much in front of me and not much neck to catch me if I wobbled either. However once I was
sat back on his bottom and having him really use his back end and lighten in front he started to feel more substantial.

Quite interesting!
Cloughwood
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 03:18 PM

I like that, you could build on it by making figure 8s too I think. I used to do something similar using the whole school with 20m circles at A, B ,C and E then change rein and repeat on the other rein. It was a useful settling exercise when Spinner used to trot far too fast. I now find small circles useful for me to think about my body position and weight, inside hip forward, outside shoulder forward.

Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 03:38 PM

Glad you liked it.

My instructor suggested that when I practice on my own to put a cone
where she had stood to check my accuracy.

I've done the exercise with Rannoch using the whole school and taking circles off the centre
line but I found keeping it all within four tight quadrants as in this exercise much harder!
I lunged Rannoch in this "tight" pattern this morning and had him trot the straight bits and come back
to walk for the circles. He got the pattern quite quickly. Pony nuts always help. (I didn't have a cone in
the middle though that would have been too hard for him and me. We cheated a little and
had poles where the straight bits connecting the circles go.
Katherine
Super Freak

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 07:43 AM

Use to do this a lot in side saddle lessons. Very quickly shows up if you sat right or not.

SussexRebecca
Fledgeling

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 08:46 AM

I do this exercise with straight lines and 90 degree turns so you are riding four boxes - you can then use the straight lines to practice riding straight (!) and the turns to either yield the hind quarters, turn the shoulders or do a walk pirouette. I've also used it where you halt or make a downward transition at X which is useful for the more forward going type of horse!

photo collage_zpsff8658cf.jpg
mirandaandhector
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 08:07 AM

Thanks for sharing this exercise Jeanette, a slightly different variation on ones I have done before so will have to have a play with it when next in school

KarenP
Super Freak

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 01:37 PM

That's interesting as I've been having some classical dressage lessons and was given something very similar to practise but with a slightly larger 'long' side with 3 circles on each side. It has helped us and whether coincidence or not Finola managed right canter on Saturday for the first time!

Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KarenP  
That's interesting as I've been having some classical dressage lessons and was given something very similar to practise but with a slightly larger 'long' side with 3 circles on each side. It has helped us and whether coincidence or not Finola managed right canter on Saturday for the first time!

Ah interesting. Your version is what my instructor had me do on Rannoch and also helped with getting his canter. When I ask for canter on the lunge with Rannoch I often go from a smaller trot circle. The tighter version of the same exercise, confining everything to a square I find much harder. I think Rannoch needs the reward of larger "long" sides between the circles to keep him moving. Jack I find is rather more forward going, but could be that I can get my hips round Jack more easily!

[Edited on 8-6-2015 by Jeanette]
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 06:31 PM

Good exercise .... I sometimes ride a square, circle and star 20m circle at each end of the school on opposite reins, and a v good exercise where you turn down the centre line and ride 4 10m circles, alternating left and right rein.

Go To Top