Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Open turns on the forehand and Cowboy canter (posting issues solved)
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 08:40 AM
Open turns on the forehand and Cowboy canter (posting issues solved)

We had a laugh in our lesson today.
I explained to Donald that one of my training objectives for the Golden Horsehoe was to improve our balance going down hills and that it had been suggested to
me to get rannoch's hocks more underneath him
Leg yield would be the obvious way to do this, except that rannoch and I are not very good at leg yield.
So the exercise we rode in the school invlved lots of loose rein circles of trot, transitioning down to walk at conveninet points where there was space to
an open turn on the forehand turning to the outside of he circle but importantly keeping the walk rhythm going through the turn on the forehand and then picking
up the trot again coming out of the turn on the forehand.
And so on. It did the job.
Rannoch's hocks cae underneath hik and as there was no pressure on his mouth at all he also relaxed but picked up impulsion.
Donald then told me to canter like a cowboy.
He didn't explain exactly what he meant by that, other than to sit back and on no account tip forward or put any pressure on Rannoch's mouth.
So i sat back and hel;d the reins in one hand , whip wopped with them and off we went.
Round and round in canter, again and again, each time I asked.
I've never had such willing canter from Rannoch in the school before.
So I'm grinning now!
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 08:41 AM

sorry to those who've read this before on facebook....reposted here for Foxy Thyme!

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by Jeanette]
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 08:46 AM

The aids for the open turn on the forehand turning to the outside of the circle were to sit on my outside hip , lift my inside hip slightly (just to make sure the weight was on the outside hip) open the outside rein , apply outside leg on girth and open the outside rein

(Inside and outside here are described according to the circle you've just left)

importantly the walk must be maintained throughout...no pivoting or halting...the new inside leg for the turn must step *forward* and under...not just under as it might do in a more traditionally aided turn on the forehand
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 09:03 AM

Thanks Jeanette. I could do with a lesson like that. I am having trouble at the moment getting a trot, she still walks fine but as soon as I ask for a trot she stops and pulls to the side. It took me 2 hours last week, I asked for the trot and therefore I stayed till I got it. It just came suddenly after ages of battle, we were walking, just squeezed and asked and off we went into a really nice trot. If I cannot give that time I dont ask for a trot.

In lessons once we have had a canter she just wants another, very difficult to understand what she is thinking.

I do sometimes feel very alone, hoping the jump field gets less slippy soon and we can work in a more open environment without being out in the main fields.

However she does seem very sluggish and plods but can pick up eventually, I do worry if there may be an underlying cause
FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 09:09 AM

I told my instructor about pointing with your belly button in the direction you want to go. I had been practising it at walk on my own and she said Thyme was turning very well with no other input. It does move your weight over.
I have now heard her telling others in lessons to do the same
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 10:10 AM

I'd forgotten about the belly button idea. Thanks FT. I must remember that next time I ride Jack as he's looking to the outside on a circle at the moment and my instructor was having me ride him with aeroplane arms to get it to sink in that I was dropping a shoulder and not turning at the waist!

Go To Top