Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Prompted by the Facebook thread...
ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-11-2014 at 06:10 PM
Prompted by the Facebook thread...

I did get thinking about the HPEC and the forum etc..like other people I like seeing the pictures of other Highlands on FB, but rarely post and if I do it's purely factual. I wouldn't dream of moaning about what a plonker my pony can be sometimes to anyone other than all of you (and to be fair, if he didn't have the lack of opposable thumbs problem, he'd probably post the same about me).
However, I did notice how many people said they couldn't post on the forum - from the stats there are 300 some members but only a few of us seem to regularly communicate. It also sent me burrowing round the site to find out who my area rep is - which took me quite a time as I couldn't remember where to look - only to find I don't have one as Tina Dando is no longer a member (and I found that out from FB....)
Would this be time for a bit of a redesign? Perhaps with a new template which would make it more accessible to more people and a nice big bold introduction page with lots of photos and information on what the HPEC does do - I'd forgotten about the Happy Hacker awards as I've no idea how it works, and admittedly haven't asked. My business has a Wordpress Website which even I can update as it's so simple to use and looks good, and I'm sure there must be the equivalent for this sort of set-up?

Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 13-11-2014 at 06:23 PM

I think this is a good suggestion. Hopefully Helen will take it to the Committee meeting - I will see that she sess it. :clap:

Heatherrose
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-11-2014 at 06:43 PM

If there was a 'like' button I'd press it! Fab idea. I also only post happy posts on Facebook, but feel able to be truthful & more myself on here. Love the forum, think it would be great if it had a bit of an upgrade. Also, something I discovered totally by accident, if you google certain 'highland' things posts from our private forum come up on google for anyone to read! :eeek: would be nice if it was totally private & only available to subscribers. As I'd rather what I post on here stay on here. No idea if that is possible as I'm not technical at all!

mulletsmum
Super Administrator

Mood: Carpe diem - I grabbed it!

[*] posted on 13-11-2014 at 08:59 PM

If you upgrade the forum from this format you will lose all the past posts - it is almost impossible to port everything to a new format. It was all investigated when Wayne did the upgrade to the HPEC site a few years ago

vakizz

[*] posted on 13-11-2014 at 10:31 PM

If you post in members lounge it should only be visible for members only. The problem with Facebook is you may have your security settings on but if you share things in a circle of friends they would need to also have all their setting at highest security or things automatically drift out. This posting problem has only been a fairly recent event it certainly hasn't been an issue for ever. I've been a member on here now for 7+ years an would not like to lose back posts and info. I suppose its a bit of a nuisance downloading pics to photo bucket or in my case tinypic, perhaps that could be looked at as it does seem to cause a few problems. Again that's not the forum but photobuck continually upgrading and changing its settings. Hopefully comments can be passed back. The one important thing I really appreciate about the forum is that you can post on any issue and receive kind, helpful, useful and supportive comments and suggestions with not a hint of rudeness or of belittling skills or achievements. :clap:
Deirdre Robinson
Posting Freak

Mood: Variable!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[*] posted on 13-11-2014 at 10:59 PM

I don't post that often want to put pics etc on and get fed up with photobucket who happily said it would save all my pics for free and then threatened me with lack of space and wanted payment so I had more space etc etc, am tho looking at other options for pics plenty non pony ones waiting in the wings too. I do think Facebook doesn't help, easy to write rubbish put pics on etc etc and whilst I love getting info from my special friends on it am not impressed by a lot I read. I'm about 100 years behind in modern technology and even my updated computer when windows XP died does clever things without my permission think it vital we keep HPEC forum going.
I do think it's not a help that the club has got so big and become very difficult to know who's doing what, everyone is very busy and people who run things do it for free most of the time and because of distances involved a lot of us can't get to things they'd love to go to whereas if one belongs to a riding club or even pony club it's in ones own area and much easier to support.
Final test now will be whether forum posts this or tells me to get lost in which case I'll:help: sink without trace in my waterlogged fields:help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

]
http://fleetmeadstud.moonfruit.com/
\')[/color]
SOME OF FLEETMEAD\'S INHABITANTS Alick of Litigan,Burnside Holly,Lizzie
getagrip
Super Freak

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 12:42 AM

I would hate to lose the forum - I'm not aware of any problems 'behind the scenes' which some folk were alluding to on the FB post and don't want to know the nitty gritty either.

This forum has been a godsend to me - particularly when Dougal was in the throes of his 'Kevin days' - the support of the members has been such a comfort and now I read more recent members experiencing similar problems with their teenage ponies and am sometimes able to offer some advice myself.

Please don't let us lose the forum :bawling: or even change it too much :umm?: It's a pity some folk are experiencing difficulties but surely some IT bod must be able to sort it :dizzy:

I am fairly isolated living where I do and have made many friends through the forum :clap:

Finally I would like to say thank you to everyone who gives up their time to keep the HPEC running :clap:

OH - and when the forum is hopefully up and running again properly - could someone please pin the 'Highland Pony Book of Evasions' to lighten things up a bit and let us all have a good :heh hee::heh hee::heh hee:
and I'm sure that there are many who like to add to it :stealth:

Judy

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 03:56 PM

Just a thought but when the Forum was developed I'm sure that the operating systems and browsers of the moment were very differant from those provided today.

For one thing Windows Xp is no longer supported. Even windows V7 might be considered a little 'old hat'.

Could it just be that the software that 'drives' the forum is not compatible with todays technology?

Judy

Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Judy  
Just a thought but when the Forum was developed I'm sure that the operating systems and browsers of the moment were very differant from those provided today.

For one thing Windows Xp is no longer supported. Even windows V7 might be considered a little 'old hat'.

Could it just be that the software that 'drives' the forum is not compatible with todays technology?

Judy

I think this may be part of the problem

ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 07:50 PM

Yes - I supect that's so..we had dreadful problems with completely vanishing emails (which was a server incompatability problem) but now we've upgraded to a cloud based system we have no problems.
I didn't want to upset anyone - I take the point about the old forum posts which I find useful sometimes too, but I wonder now it's very easy and cheap to get cloud storage whether they couldn't be accessible by other means? I just noticed Skylark's post on FB which said she'd joined to use the forum but couldn't post - I've met some lovely people through the forum and I suspect there are a number more out there who just can't get on!

FoxyThyme
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 08:55 PM

I am away grandson minding at the moment but have only just got on to the forum after a few days, my fault not forums.

I have learnt so much from this forum, a lot of it before I became a member as when I googled planting pony advice from the forum came up and I eventually joined.

If I had not discovered the existance of this forum on google I dont know if I would have found it as I knew no one else with a Highland pony. I went to my first show at Adlington because I found reference to it on the forum before I joined and speaking to people there gave me the incentive to join.

We do need a members section where posting is kept to members only but as long as members realise that some posts may be widely read I dont think it should be a problem and may help many people including non Highland owners.

I did not go out looking particularly for a Highland but Thyme was the first pony I tried I felt safe on and as I said at the beginning I may not have discovered HPEC if it had no open posts and I would still be absolutely out of my depth.
Skylark

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 09:48 PM

i had no probs posting here 3 months ago (mac/safari) but i do now and nothing has changed at my end
Baily
Posting Freak

Mood: Retired!

[*] posted on 15-11-2014 at 12:02 AM

Ces, I think you will find the forum stat of over 300 members, is the total of members which have been registered users of the forum in the lifetime of the forum rather than our current membership number, as there are users who have chosen to lapse their membership in recent years for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps Mods can confirm how many active paid up member, which is a requirement of posting we currently have?

I would be very disappointed if our back story was lost as many are posts from old friends who no longer come on here for whatever reason, and pics of ponies who have long since gone over rainbow bridge.
getagrip
Super Freak

[*] posted on 15-11-2014 at 01:16 AM

I wonder if the problems are with folk using the 'quick reply' box - which I never use Just tried this and it was fine so clearly not :umm?:

[Edited on 15-11-2014 by getagrip]

Go To Top