Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hello and Schooling advice please!
FizzFuzz
Fledgeling

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 12:40 PM
Hello and Schooling advice please!

Hello everyone! :wavey:

New to here and new to HiPo's! Have recently rehomed a 6yo Highland x TB (but think 15.3hh highland!). Big change from all the 17hh plus sports horses Ive had and I'm loving the difference! She is so much fun, game for anything and so much less of a diva than anything I have had before. However, as I'm new to the native thing, I wonder if I could get some schooling advice?

My girly is very off the leg with great paces but REFUSES to bring her nose in. Teeth, back and saddle all done, as well as vet check so no physical reason why she shouldnt be cooperating. Instructor a bit stumped too. Any suggestions, hints or tips?
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 01:22 PM

Hello there!!

I'm in Hampshire too! u2 u me with your whereabouts!

My experience is that bringing the nose in happens very much from sitting really still by engaging the stomach muscle immediately under your rib cage, your pelvis well tucked underneath , soft knees, soft lower back , steady contact but not too short a rein and allowing the movement through your hips (but without exaggerating it). Rannoch has finally become quite consistent in his outline now (he’s 8) but I don’t actually use much leg at all. If Rannoch doesn’t respond to a squeeze to drop back down onto the bit I go straight to a flick with the whip..firstly because I don’t want to have to use leg but secondly because trying to put on a firm leg aid tends to upset my own balance.

My instructor who schools Rannoch for me from time to time is always a bit “damp” after schooling Rannoch! Not from using the leg or arms but from engaging her core to stay as still and upright in her trunk as possible . When I asked her whether Rannoch was any harder to school than any other horse she works with she said he was….not because he doesn’t try to oblige or because he isn’t off the leg or because he’s not supple but because his own “dressage” balance is still quite tentative so he can’t tolerate any wobbling or gripping from the rider. Horses who are more established in the dressage balance are more forgiving in her experience to small amounts of rider imbalance or gripping. My instructor has reminded me many times that lightening the forehand does not come naturally to a highland (or not mine anyway) and that when you see a highland with elevated paces and light on their feet you know that a lot of work has gone into their schooling. That’s actually what makes it so absorbing!

FizzFuzz
Fledgeling

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 01:42 PM

Hi Jeanette! I'm in East Wellow near Romsey. Where are you?

She is super-fab and I'll give that a go - thanks. I just feel at the moment she is trying, and I'm trying and we aren't quite meeting anywhere and both getting frustrated!! SHe is desperate to please so I need to fins different buttons to try! Like I said, she is very different to anything I have had before and responds very differently to things but I am absolutely loving it! Although getting myhead round the legendary Highland stubborness took a bit ('what do you mean"no"?') and am definately better off - she requires so little compared to a 17hh TBx!!!

And boy, can she jump!!!! :heh hee:
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 02:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by FizzFuzz  

About half an hour away! near Wickham on the A32

Do you have transport?!
FizzFuzz
Fledgeling

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 02:48 PM

I do! Snowdrop the lorry - when madam chooses to load...:banghead:

Joking - she goes in fine now; just hates leaving the party :banana:
Mags
Super Freak

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by FizzFuzz  

She is super-fab and I'll give that a go - thanks. I just feel at the moment she is trying, and I'm trying and we aren't quite meeting anywhere and both getting frustrated!! SHe is desperate to please so I need to fins different buttons to try! Like I said, she is very different to anything I have had before and responds very differently to things but I am absolutely loving it! Although getting myhead round the legendary Highland stubborness took a bit ('what do you mean"no"?') and am definately better off - she requires so little compared to a 17hh TBx!!!

And boy, can she jump!!!! :heh hee:

She sounds fab! Think we need some photos and hope to hear more about your lovely new horse.
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 05:37 PM

Highlands are subtle creatures, as you are discovering. And they won't be hurried ... It is early days in your partnership.

vakizz

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 08:32 PM

Welcome and think mega character with highland, opinionated, lots of fun, perhaps not as supple and needing to work those muscles. We all love them to bits.:clap:
mulletsmum
Super Administrator

Mood: Carpe diem - I grabbed it!

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 10:15 PM

All sorts of answers possible here -and without seeing you and the pony/horse I will just throw some ideas at you!

Why so you want the head 'in'? I am guessing you want it just in front of the vertical - but this only shows your horse can bend this way. First idea is that she may well not be able to produce the bend you are asking for and never will!

As Jeanette said what you are looking for is a engagement that produces a topline and with this the head just in front of vertical. For this you need to lengthen the neck so the horse can stretch over. At 6 you are going to have to do a lot of work to get the muscles to this level.

So forget the angle of the head - work on true engagement and relaxation of the jaw and it will come when everything is in place. Have a look at some of the classical training ideas and the scales of training pyramid - they should give you and your instructor some thing to work with.

ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 07:31 AM

Hi! Welcome...my Mum lives in Romsey so down there quite often..

Echo what the others have said; if you look at the photos I posted of my 7 year old - another couple of photos of camp - you'll see it's coming with him, but through doing what Mulletsmum suggests and encouraging working forwards and long (we do lots of hills) to develop his topline and get him working from behind. It isn't easy for him but we're getting there. What has definitely helped is that I've really worked on my own core as I had a back problem.

Do you know what her breeding is?

FizzFuzz
Fledgeling

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 09:02 AM

Thanks all for the excellent replies - I'll try and get some photos on tonight of the Girly Girl! We schooled this morning and we had a temper tantrum at trying some flexing so I think back to basics and working on engagement and stretching over her neck. She is very forward which for me isnt always easy to distinguish from 'engaged' but will keep working on it! She turns 7 next month so still a baby as far as Highlands go I think?

She was bred at Nashend Stud. Mum was a 7'8ths TB (but quite a stocky girl) who excelled at eventing. Dad was Brig' O'Doon of Whitefield. I actually managed to speak to her breeder (Penny Smith) before I got her and she was really helpful. ANd I spent a whole afternoon drooling over her lovely ponies!!
soupdragon1

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 10:36 AM

Pennys ponies are great,think I remember her as a foal at foot!
FizzFuzz
Fledgeling

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 10:40 AM

Oh wow! What was she like? I'm imagining a rotund fuzzy little monster always up to tricks!
ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 12:55 PM

Suddenly realised it must be given your avatar name - doh! I've watched her grow up and actually Jeanette's met her too when she came to visit and we went to Penny's.

Mine is Nashend Wheatear - same sire as Fizz and there are several other Nashend pony owners on here...I'm so pleased she has found herself a lovely home!

Sendie

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 14-1-2015 at 10:44 PM

if she is 6 her balance can also be an issue and she may not be relaxed and balanced enough to give you what you are asking for, does she even change her outline for any steps? Have you tried a different bit as Highlands so have fleshy mouths and you can find that this can be an issue, rather than not wanting to give?

Does she lower her head on the lunge, maybe its down to the muscles she has, the way her neck is set on her shoulders, so many questions without seeing a video
Heatherrose
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 02:02 PM

I agree totally with everything Mulletsmum has suggested. I would 'forget' about the trying to put her head in any position at the moment, but concentrate on lots & lots of bending & supplying exercises, really bedding on a circle, 1/2 circles, serpentine a etc, being quite particular that she is straight on the circle. Also leg yielding in walk & trot, and change of transitions within a pace, slow trot keeping the rhythm, then a more open ground covering trot, coming back to the slower trot. You say she is quite forward & off the leg, this may actually be a form of evasion as she's going forward, but not using herself, the more supplying exercises you do will get her listening more to you, and thinking more. Her head carriage will naturally come in time once she is truly engaging from behind and has developed the muscles to support herself in self carriage. At 6 she is still very young. Good luck, she sounds lovely

Go To Top