Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lunge lesson - "soft knees"
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 02:41 PM
Lunge lesson - "soft knees"

I had a lunge lesson yesterday working on my position. It’s on ongoing project!

I was given three things to work on whilst I was being lunged at walk and trot.

The three things were
- to soften my knees,
- stretch up through my left hand side (i.e. get more weight into my left seatbone and stretch out the left side of my waist)
- look through Rannoch’s ears to where I wanted him to go irrespective of what he was trying to do (i.e. fall out or fall in!)

It was one of the most relaxed lessons I think I’ve ever had. If I lost the softness in my knees Rannoch slowed down. If I lost the straightness on my left side Rannoch bulged his left shoulder. If I didn’t look through his ears on the halt it wasn’t a square halt. Rannoch really is a hard task master! ..but when I was correct Rannoch was correct.

My instructor told me that if I could maintain my straightness but also the softness in my knees, hips and lower back that Rannoch , like many highlands, and in the right mood, would in fact be capable of being ridden on a thought.

My instructor took some pictures at the end to show me that I was in fact very nearly straight when I thought I was seriously wonky. She also said that for the first time ever she had seen me ride without tension in my lower back.

One leg still shorter than the other (due to my left hip still being quite tight)….but for the first time in a long time I feel that maybe I will get there (wherever “there” is!)

If this riding lark was easy we’d all be able to do all of it all of the time eh?!!

Hazel T
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 07:51 PM

having a lesson on the lunge really does allow you t o concentrate on you and your riding and I haven't done this for years so maybe I should. You certainly look very straight in your photos and its great to hear that you are relaxing your back now, it is nice for you to see how you are improving. Well done after all your efforts.

Go To Top