Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: High Speed Napping !
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 09:09 AM
High Speed Napping !

Rannoch and I had another training session at the gallops this weekend with Maggie Pattinson. The gallop track is like a rubberised sandschool surface set in a large field and the track itself undulates. It’s hard work for horses. The only barriers are round the oval bits at the end, otherwise it’s knee deep lush grass to either side of the track. Not only is the grass easier to canter on than the track ..it’s also edible (obviously!). Quite a challenge!

Our session turned out to be a lesson on how to control napping at speed! The instruction I was given was that if he napped by pushing out his right shoulder I had to leg yield him to the right to straighten him up then open my reins wide and drive him on. And vice versa so if he popped his left shoulder I had to yield him to the left. I got it quite a few times..but not every time. If he managed to turn on me I had to turn him back the way I wanted him (i.e. not let him do a full circle )…which was also a laugh as a few times we went several yards back in the wrong direction before I managed to turn him back.

However..despite all that…when he eventually gave up being a prat I did manage to get some really nice engaged trot and a few short bursts of canter (which I managed to maintain for so long as I managed not to grip with my knees!). I was quite red at the end of our session, although to be fair I did manage to shift the balance of effort more to Rannoch’s side than usual. Rannoch got a bit “damp”. Maggie said he’d barely got out of bed!

(Incidentally, the wide reins part of the instruction for control of napping was to help me keep my core stable and not to collapse to one side or the other).
ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 11:56 AM

Interesting...I suspect we all suffer this at this time of year and I'm getting pretty good at the open reins and driving kicks - usually accompanied by growling! I have been letting him circle though so must stop that. I don't know about you but I've been finding all the core exercises I've been doing really help me feel stable and planted over his centre of gravity so I can have arms wide and legs well off him and still feel I'm travelling with him when he's being a prat - and boy, can he be!

Well done you two. Now how to get them properly out of bed and motoring...?!

Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ces  
. Now how to get them properly out of bed and motoring...?!

I've got at least one answer for that!

I took Rannoch to the forest on his own on Saturday. We've not been into the forest for a very long time because it takes quite a while to hack there. However once we were there it indulged Rannoch's scrambling tendencies as there were lots of fallen trees blocking paths so we had to do a fair bit of riding off piste , up and down banks , stepping over fallen branches, under low branches etc. ...all the sorts of stuff that switch his brain on and earn lots of excited praise from me. When we came to an open sandy bit he was really ready to power along.:heh hee:

He much prefers 4x4 territory!
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 01:29 PM

Well as my wheel cover says...."Highland Ponies...Natures 4x4":heh hee::heh hee::heh hee:
The long grass can be a big challenge, happily never gets too long on the moors were most of our off road riding happens, makes life easier:)
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 01:53 PM

Sounds like a fun session and you are making great progress with him. I also use the wide reins, kick and growl technique for napping. Can't say it always works :blush: :blush: as Humph learnt long ago that the most effective napping was to go backwards at speed.

ces
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 03:37 PM

Oo - the backwards napping! Thankfully that one hasn't occured to W but his Thoroughbred hacking companion is amazingly good at it and can go backwards for as long as it takes...

Hazel T
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 05:37 PM

Interesting, Duncan does this on the left circle and he will try to go right to the gate by pushing right with his shoulder, I have been (with instruction) keeping a good contact with my right rein to block his shoulder , opening my left rein and using my right leg to push him back to the left which is quite different to your technique. I have to say that once I got my brain into gear it did work and so he gave up. I suppose you have to do what works but it is interesting to hear this technique and I can see the sense in it.
Apart from his napping it sounds great fun to go on the gallops.
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 06:11 PM

Hazel...I've had that instruction too.....perhaps it depends on whether you want to bring the shoulders in line with the hips or the other way round!?

Donald kear came up with a third strategy which was to weight your hip on the side that the shoulder is popping...perhaps he focused on that one with me because he knows that 9 times out of 10 I'll be needing to weight my left hip because Rannoch always try to throw me onto my right hip before he tries anything on!

Go To Top