Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Donald Kear – riding is like dribbling a football
Jeanette
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-5-2014 at 08:52 AM
Donald Kear – riding is like dribbling a football

I had a Donald Kear lesson on Monday. His lessons come up every four weeks or so. Fortunately the lady who is helping me on a weekly basis now also takes her youngsters to clinics with Donald…so whilst there are differences in the way they teach there is a lot that is similar.

We worked on balance..mine and Rannoch’s.

- My balance is apparently is good at walk, not bad at sitting and rising trot but not there at all at canter!
- Rannoch on the other hand instinctively moves me (and other riders) on to their right hip and tips them forward…or put another way his left shoulder pops and he wants to resist bending his neck to the left.

Donald reminded me of an old analogy that he had given me that riding is like dribbling a football. The football must stay ahead of you (so sit back in the saddle and no tipping forward) , and occasionally you may have to give a harder kick with one leg than the other!

We did lots of work with a contact but a long rein with me just concentrating on keeping weight into my left hip and my right shoulder back. In order to exaggerate the effect for me and to show me how much Rannoch was trying to get me off his left hip Donald had me turn my upper body entirely to the right , leave my shoulders there and then just turn my head back to straight and then use lots of left leg on the girth and occasional right leg behind the girth but being careful to move the right leg back from the hip. He also had me lift the heel of the right leg up from time to time to make sure the weight was in my left hip.

Despite all this, every second stride or so Rannoch tried to bulge that left shoulder out….so it was a case of keep dribbling that football (i.e. Rannoch’s left shoulder) back left!

Donald explained that many instructors would tell you to use more outside rein and more inside leg…which is correct , but has two issues…firstly, if you make gross corrections this way you’ll have nothing left for fine adjustments and secondly, ponies like Rannoch find it very easy to brace against strong rein pressure and once it becomes a matter of strength the pony will win every time!

When I did get Rannoch and myself straight in the lesson he dropped softly down onto the bit and moved with more impulsion. It was the same when I hacked him out this morning….and required very little rein pressure but constant focus from me on my balance and dribbling the football left!

The other thing Donald had me do in the lesson was to move my shoulders backwards and forwards in an exaggerated fashion whilst doing sitting trot. This caused a lot of giggles, especially when I didn’t manage to synch my shoulders to my hips. I asked him why the heck waggling my boobs (albeit they are small) was going to help Rannoch!....and the answer was again that he was showing me in an exaggerated fashion how I was bracing my shoulders and how Rannoch’s trot frees up when I stop bracing my shoulders!

[Edited on 28-5-2014 by Jeanette]
L-J
Super Hero

[*] posted on 28-5-2014 at 08:55 AM

Interesting stuff:clap::clap::clap:
Julie
Super Hero

[*] posted on 29-5-2014 at 01:10 AM

Brilliant. Are you still coming for lesson next week

Julie
Super Hero

[*] posted on 29-5-2014 at 01:10 AM