Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mud
Moonysmum

sad.gif posted on 6-1-2012 at 10:55 PM
Mud

The entrances to our field shelters are now calf deep in thick gloopy mud. The ponies like to go in at night but are loathe to go through the mud it is so bad. The field does not belong to me so concrete is not an option. I am going to have to try and do something about it NOW as the weather is clearly not going to dry up for some time. Does anyone have any useful tips or suggestions as it will have to be a DIY job!:blue:
Lysander
Super Freak

Mood: icy toes

[*] posted on 6-1-2012 at 11:15 PM

my field is the same and sorry to say I dont know what to do either ,so any suggestions would be great

getagrip
Super Freak

[*] posted on 6-1-2012 at 11:55 PM

I used to put dirty straw bedding (from within the field shelter) in the muddy entrance to the field shelter and it used to kind of bind it together - it was certainly less gloopy.

Frank Dudley

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 07:51 AM

We're exactly the same but the ponies don't seem to mind. In fact they were playing yesterday, a rarity for Evie as she doesn't like expending too much energy! Our field slopes with the field shelter at the bottom so it's pretty pointless putting anything in front, although a friend of mine uses bark chippings which a local arborist drops off for her. She said it really helps to soak it up.
Hillcrest
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 07:52 AM

Our gateways are the same. We put old hay and straw down in them. Doesn't last long but it does help.

Drumbulg

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 09:00 AM

We have mud too. I'm going to wait and put hardcore down in summer ( assuming we get one this year :umm?: )
Lysander
Super Freak

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Drumbulg  
We have mud too. I'm going to wait and put hardcore down in summer ( assuming we get one this year :umm?: )

think that's really the only solution

vakizz

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 10:12 AM

have used old carpet in the past on an area really badly cut up by an anxious gelding which was awful to walk through when it froze that year and quite dangerous. In fact as it was a small piece of carpet it went to one side and Cara would stand just on that or away from the mud then walk on the carpet to keep her toes clean. Someone usually has some to chuck out, although you do have to be careful at first in case the ponies spook at it. There is also some rubber matting which is specifically for gateways and to help with mud. Try this one to see

http://www.fieldguard.com/field_path_mats.html
welshflora
Super Freak

Mood: positive

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 10:29 AM

Ours are awful too. I feel like I can never explain just HOW bad our mud is, but enough to say it is almost impossible to walk into our fields with only two legs. It is my number one enemy!

A couple of years ago we put a huge amount of scalpings into the gateway and on a good few metres into the field, to try to make a hardstanding area. It worked well at the time but has now been lost under this year's mud.

Hels

Mood: Aim for the moon , if you miss you will fall amongst the stars

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 11:33 AM

Ours was dreadful- by the gates, some walkers were quite concered- the ironic thing was that they had another 3 acres with no mud.......................... but the little darlings will stand in it!!

The only solution is wait till the summer and then put some cheap field mats down

Got them in our own field up at home on sand and its fab to drain so :banana::banana:

[Edited on 7-1-2012 by Hels]

Balleroy Mercury,Sea Pearl of Conway, Lord Mars of Warren and Lochlands Moonshadow.
Lysander
Super Freak

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 07:13 PM

no need to explain about your mud welshflora,I've got it too,this year has been so bad,i've just given up worrying and I'm waiting for the drier weather:heh hee:

anne
Advanced Member

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 01:00 AM

I too have lots of mud you wonder how it will recover but it does .we put terram down with type 1 scalpings you need a lot of scalpings but it does work a little it helps to get into the field . , and feed them.
Kingsmoor

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 09:32 AM

Bark chippings from local tree surgeon are used where we are. But you need to put down a lot. You can do it at any time of year - even on top of the mud.

susie
Super Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 12:01 PM

Same as Kingsmoor!;)

Jenny May of Forglen Langaton Clova Maidendene

Go To Top