Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: FLEETMEAD STUD GATHERING LOADS MORE PICS ADDED
Deirdre Robinson
Posting Freak

Mood: Variable!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[*] posted on 24-8-2010 at 09:48 AM
Lorna's cationary tale

Getagrip
See no harm in answering this as not trying to run person in Scotland who I bought Lorna and her sister from as she was nothing but helpful and totally honest plus reading between the lines think it was more of a rescue situation for the ponies.
I basically bought the mares as I was on the verge of all my pipeline woes was only expecting 2 foals and land agent said you need to keep numbers as high as poss in view of what he at that stage knew was going to be a tough time with Water Co. Lorna and her sister were reasonably priced had some of the breeding I liked so seemed the answer. They had been sold from Scotland to Ireland, their owner's private life went disastously wrong and she was forced to part, plus a Carlung stallion who the mares were in foal to. Reading between the lines I don't know what would have happened to the ponies if they had stayed in Ireland and hadn't been shunted back to Scotland, pd etc to see they were in foal and then came to me. The owner had said they were her ridden ponies, Rebecca the little younger one had done pony club and Lorna was her experienced hack and this is the cautionary bit!!
I would stress I only bought them as brood mares so the riding side would be a bonus. why I made an issue of it at the gathering living in over populated SE still pretending to be countryside, mostly concrete and motorways round me a lot of people who have made money comuting to London or whatever are now trying to realise a childhood dream and own their own horse/pony. A great many are middle aged, have only ridden at a riding school and round here especially may have never even hacked out and certainly not on their own and a lot think hipos are nice cuddly plods!!!!!!!!!!
The first time I rode lorna, and had taken the precaution to put tack on and try and lunge her first, Lorna was happy to be tacked up but didn't do lunging, no surprise I thought as the Irish usually just get on the young horses. I finally plucked up enough courage to get on and again Lorna was perfect although when I wanted to move was a bit reluctant and didn't buck but had her back up for about 10 mins. Catch was lorna had no steering and no accelerater. and when I tried to change direction she was the nearest thing I had ever ridden to a corkscrew, try to use rein to change direction and if the fence wasn't too close she went if possible the other way and she made it very plain she didn't do bits either. Nearly used my bitless one but now have a happy mouth which she seems comfortable with and although still going in non dressage mode has actually got 3 good paces and a very comfy canter. AS she had a lot of muscle underneath her neck. not got a ewe neck and had not been ridden for a long time she had obbviously been in the habit of her head too high waving in the breeze!In all this her and her sisters trump card was they had obviously been much loved ponies and reckoned humans were friends although lorna is boss pony with others. the cautionary bit was if I had little knowledge and had got on her thinking I could go out for a hack it would be dangerous as basically I had no control although the pony was not in her mind doing anything wrong and if may be I lived in real countryside where I could hack without meeting traffic I might well have been able to go out for a ride but round here you have to grit your teeth even when crossing a road as traffic is so bad and so fast even in a speed limit.
the 2 ponies weren't perfect mums either as at a very early stage they encouraged their babies to go as far away as possible and play with their little friends so weaning was no problem. Foals weren't as ordered either, I wanted 2 bay fillies as their father was fabulous colour, Rebecca had a really pretty little mouse dun colt, Lorna a brown filly but inevitably she's beginning to turn grey so as they say 'Fools breed horses for wise men to buy'
soon after I had the mares a very knowledgable highland pony person saw them and said they were old fashiioned type and wouldn't now win in the show ring (didn't buy them to show although would be nice)so my next project is if I ever go to a show if lorna is going well enough I have got to win a rosette, have found a show which seems to give most people in the class a rosette so I'm hopeful if I live long enough I'll achieve this.:P

[Edited on 24-8-2010 by Deirdre Robinson]

]
http://fleetmeadstud.moonfruit.com/
\')[/color]
SOME OF FLEETMEAD\'S INHABITANTS Alick of Litigan,Burnside Holly,Lizzie
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top