Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Avatars, Highland Pony Album and Photo Posting
Claire
Super Administrator

Mood: in transit...

[*] posted on 17-8-2004 at 10:51 PM
Avatars, Highland Pony Album and Photo Posting

Please use the following as a guide to posting pictures on this site. If the answer to your problem is not here, reply to this post and someone will help you as soon as possible.

Highland Pony Album

Highland Pony Album is an MSN group created to house all our Highland Pony pictures.
If you want to put pictures under your name (avatar), in your signature or in your posts, you first need to upload them to the Highland Pony Album.

Step 1:
Join the Highland Pony Album
Go to http://groups.msn.com/HighlandPonyAlbum/ and click the 'Join Now' button on the left hand side. If you already have an msn passport, sign in. If not, you'll have to register for an MSN passport, sign in to that and then apply to join. The instructions are pretty straightforward for this.

Step 2:
Create an Album

When you've joined Highland Pony Album, click on 'Pictures' in the menu at the left hand side. Next click 'Create Album.' It will ask you to fill in the album name, description and set who can add/delete pictures, you should choose the one that says members can add and delete their own photos.
Please make your album name the same as your Message Board login name

Step 3:
Upload your Photos

Once you've created the album, click 'add photos.' If you are a windows user, you will get asked if you want to download msn photo upload control. This makes things quicker, but downloading it can cause some older/slower computers to play up, so you don't have to download it. I would probably click no and choose to upload each photo individually.

If you have downloaded MSN Photo Upload Control:
In the partition on the left is a list of all the files in your computer, click on them to get to where your photos are - click on the folder name to show photos in that folder, and click the plus sign to get to other folders inside another one. Photos in the folder you've clicked on will show on the right hand side. Tick the box by the photos in that folder that you want to upload, then click on 'upload now'. Repeat this for each folder of pictures you have.

If you have not downloaded MSN Photo Upload Control:
Click on ‘add one photo at a time’ Where it asks you to type the path to your pics on your computer, click 'browse' and choose your picture from the file on your computer. Double click on it, or click 'open', depending on what type of computer you have, and there you go! Description and title are optional but make interesting browsing.
You can repeat this until you have used all your quota of space.

Step 4:
HPEC Message Board
Once you have uploaded your pictures to the Highland Pony album, you can use them in the Message forum.

Pictures in Avatars

Click on 'Control Panel’ at the top right of the HPEC message board header. Choose ‘Edit Profile’ from the menu header. Scroll down to where it says ‘Avatar url’

In a new Internet Explorer window, go to your Highland Pony Album to where all the thumbnails (small images) are visible.

Hover your mouse over the photo you want as your avatar and Right-click. A grey box will appear- scroll down and select properties. Another grey box will pop up with information including 'Address: [url]http://blah.com/blah.jpg'[/url] - copy the whole address, making sure to scroll down and pick it all out of the box if it’s a long one.

Paste it into the avatar url box. Click the 'Edit Profile' Button at the bottom of the page... then RUN to see if it worked!!

NB. Please DO NOT link from 'free' clipart/gif sites, or any professional photography sites, this uses the owner of that site's bandwidth and can get us into serious trouble.

Signatures

To get pictures into your signature (the space underneath each post) you need to go through the same steps as getting an avatar above, choosing your pic from the Highland Pony Album and sourcing the address.

Go to your control panel and 'Edit Profile'. Paste your photo address into your the signiture box. Before the start of the web address type [img] and at the end of the address type [/img] leaving no spaces. Click the 'Edit Profile' Button at the bottom of the page

Pictures in Posts

You are not allowed to post large pictures directly from photo sites like MSN, you have to link to them. To do this, open the image fully in your Highland Pony Album (the large version), right click on it and copy ALL the address (some is usually hidden). Then, where you want to put the link, make sure your cursor is in the right place in the text of your post, and click the http:// button above. Delete the existing http://, and paste the address into this box. Click OK and then put what you want the link to say, ie 'my pony', click ok again and the link will have been entered into your post.

It is MUCH BETTER to post pictures this way as they are quicker for you to view and also save our message boards resources, helping it to run faster! So spare a thought for our server please and use our Highland Pony Album.

De-jargoning

Where I've said copy the web address, you need to click and hold down the left mouse button at the beginning of the thing you want to copy, then drag the cursor to the end of what you want to copy. The bit you want should then be highlighted. Then right-click and select 'copy' from the little grey menu that pops up.

When I've said paste, left-click in the box where you need to write the text so that the cursor goes into it, then right-click and select 'paste' from the menu. This should put the text you've copied into the box where you pasted it!

Please stick with it!! I know this sounds really complicated, but if you take it step by step you should get there in the end. If you run into problems please let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Claire

I'm looking forward to seeing all your new pony pics!
;)

[Edited on 28-11-2005 by Claire]

HPEC Forum Webmaster
Pink Pony Owner

amanda

Mood: excited :)

[*] posted on 18-8-2004 at 02:52 PM

I can get it to work!! I'm not getting the internet exploreer window come up???
janandjock

[*] posted on 18-8-2004 at 04:55 PM

Claire - sorry to be a nuisance - but I followed all the instructions to post Jock's picture as an avatar and nothing happened. I got as far as posting the address and editing the profile but immediately it pops up as an 'incredimail' site, which then closes this one down. Any suggestions? I'm sure you must get fed up with all these 'help' requests!!
Jan:mad:
Claire
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 18-8-2004 at 05:27 PM

Hi Amanda
I'm presuming you have got to the bit where it says:

"Click on 'Control Panel’ at the top right of the HPEC message board header. Choose ‘Edit Profile’ from the menu header. Scroll down to where it says ‘Avatar url’

In a new Internet Explorer window, go to your Highland Pony Album to where all the thumbnails (small images) are visible. "

If this is the case then you have to manually open the 2nd explorer window- it doesn't appear on its own. Do this by minimising (not closing) all the programs you have open on your PC and opening a new page of your internet browser - internet explorer or whatever you use. You can then switch between the 2 open windows as necessary.

Let me know how you get on, or if this is not the 'problem area'!

Claire

HPEC Forum Webmaster
Pink Pony Owner

Claire
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 18-8-2004 at 05:31 PM

Hi Jan
I just followed the same procedure by going into your profile... I don't know what you did, but this time it worked?! Is this the correct picture?

Claire

HPEC Forum Webmaster
Pink Pony Owner

janandjock

[*] posted on 18-8-2004 at 06:47 PM

That's the one!!! Thanks Claire, you're brilliant.:D
amanda

[*] posted on 19-8-2004 at 04:09 PM

Sorry Claire I'm still not getting it!! Don't know why as I did it last time OK:mad:
murphycatr
Advanced Member

Mood: grrr!

[*] posted on 19-8-2004 at 04:28 PM

That's the problem I had and Claire had to type it in. She said I had done all the right things... Maybe this system doesn't like us setting up our own Avatars?
amanda

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 02:44 PM

Sorry Claire me again!! I'm doing it all as you said but when I press edit profile it comes up with cannot find server and I am definatly online!! HELP PLEASE before I chew all my nails off:mad::mad:
Claire
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-8-2004 at 09:20 AM

Somethings not quite right but unfortunatelyI don't have time to look into it at the mo... I'm working all hours as both of my jobs are very busy. :(

If you post your avatar adress I can update your profile,

Claire

HPEC Forum Webmaster
Pink Pony Owner

kirsten
Unregistered

[*] posted on 23-8-2004 at 11:49 AM

Claire

I think I'm doing something wrong as well! I add the avatar address and press edit profile and it comes up with cannot find server!?***

Avatar Address is: http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/F0/61/HighlandPonyAlbum/18/20a.jpg

Can you offer any help?

Thanks
amanda

sad.gif posted on 23-8-2004 at 03:34 PM

Still won't let me do it GGGGGGRRRRRR

Avatar address is http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/OUQAAAOwY!Qw2TM6aSeu!CJcBemcP!

Good luck Claire!!!
Wayne
Super Administrator

Mood: ..

[*] posted on 23-8-2004 at 06:20 PM

Kirsten - I have updated your profile, hopefully is will now be ok.

Amanda - I am unable to locate your picture from the address you have given, if you right click on the thumbnail photo (not the larger one) and post with that address I'll update it for you.

Guy
amanda

[*] posted on 24-8-2004 at 09:46 AM

Hi Guy, try this one
http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/F0/61/HighlandPonyAlbum/f/4c.jpg or this one

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/F0/61/HighlandPonyAlbum/f/1ee.jpg

good luck

Thanks

[Edited on 24-8-2004 by amanda]

Valerie B.
Posting Freak

Mood: Mostly harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2004 at 10:52 AM

Sorry but I can't do Avatar either - can't see server message. The address is in the signature box but doesn't come out as a picture either. I couldn't do this last time either - no hope!

Wayne
Super Administrator

Mood: ..

[*] posted on 24-8-2004 at 06:08 PM

Hi Amanda,
I've updated your profile, I hope I have used the right one?!

Valerie,
I've updated your profile also; I think I have got the correct picture (bit of a guess from the code!) Please let me know if its the wrong one..

Guy
amanda

[*] posted on 25-8-2004 at 09:23 AM

Thanks Guy. I don't know why it would not let me do the last little bit:mad::mad:
Jill
Unregistered

[*] posted on 25-8-2004 at 03:55 PM

Can you update my avatar- url-

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/5A/C2/CometOfSunnyneuk/4/73.jpg
Valerie B.
Posting Freak

Mood: Mostly harmless

[*] posted on 26-8-2004 at 08:59 AM

That's great - thank you!
Jill
Unregistered

[*] posted on 27-8-2004 at 12:52 PM

Thank you!!!
Lochlands
Unregistered

[*] posted on 25-9-2004 at 06:01 PM

Attempting to create an avatar. Not very hopeful!
Lochlands
Unregistered

[*] posted on 25-9-2004 at 06:01 PM

Well . I was right, that was very successful!
Claire
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 28-9-2004 at 09:16 PM

Hi Lochlands
if you post the url of the thumbnail you would like as your avatar I'll slot it in,

cheers Claire

HPEC Forum Webmaster
Pink Pony Owner

soupdragon
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 08:53 PM

Ive been trying for two days now to get a photo on as avatar but I get as far as copy/paste and can get no further.As I am just a beginner on the computor and self taught I have to feel my way around.Iget the grey box select copy and noithing happens what am I doing wrong?
Claire
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 08:06 PM

Have you highlighted the thing you want to copy by holding the left mouse button and dragging it across the text? While it is still highlighted right click and select copy from the grey menu box. Nothing will happen but the text you have copied will be stored in the PC's memory. You should then be able to put your cursor wherever you want the text to appear, right click and select paste. It should then appear (as if by magic!?). Well done, sounds like you're heading in the right direction!!

Let me know if you're still having problems

HPEC Forum Webmaster
Pink Pony Owner

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top