Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9
Author: Subject: Who are we all???
mika
Posting Freak

Mood: A degree in procrastination? I think so!

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 03:01 PM

hi im Scott im fifteen. We have a two year old highland gelding called Strathmore rhum. We also have a Welsh sec D called Longparke FlashJack and we just sold our TB General Zambrano (Ob). i also have a cat called Mika and a westie called Skye.
bean bag pony
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7-10-2004 at 11:33 AM

Hi I`m Clare
I have two Valerock ponies, Sweet Sorrell and Sweet Briar, both yellow dun and full sisters. Sorrell aka Flora is 4 and Briar aka Ruby is 1. I do alot of showing with them and create a bit of a stir locally `cos we live in west wales. I work as a milk recorder which gives me loads of time to spend with them and the dogs and cats (numerous) and also to some breaking ans schooling, co-incidently the pony I have for breaking at the mo is also a highland, a very sweet gent by the name of Claymore Rue. OH is an engineer and only really takes an interest in the highlands, not so keen on the others (temperamental hunters & T.B).
So nice to read about everybody else. Oh yes. I`m 34 (gulp, I still feel 21).
Any one else do side saddle out there, I have been riding aside for about 8 years now and looking forward to starting Flora. Having only ridden hunters aside, any tips on starting with the highlands would be welcomed.
Sandie
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-10-2004 at 05:56 PM

Hellooooooo!!
I'm Sandie & I'm 17yrs old. Big sister to Scott (Mika on here)
Mummy to Longparke Flash Jack my massive 16.2hh Welsh Section D Gelding (Yes he's PURE Sec D :cool: ) And "half" Mummy to Scotts 2yr old Highland Rhum :) Just sold my precious TB OB though :(
I do hunter classes with Jack, didn't do THAT well this season because of his annoying napping problem but we've sorted that so roll on next year.
I very rarely, infact i NEVER get to show Rhum but i am doing the Youngstock Show & The Winter Fair with him in November as Scott has his Exams.
I am currently studying Equine Studies at Elmwood College in Cupar, Fife. I live there in the Halls which means i don't get to see much of my horses :( Hopefully next year i am PLANNING on going to Oatridge to do Farriery :eeek: "A female farrier!?!" in the words of my Dad :banghead:

Here's a picture of Jack my precious boy

[Edited on 13-10-2004 by Sandie]
Moonysmum

smile.gif posted on 13-10-2004 at 07:33 PM

Hi I'm Moony's Mum, Clare, also mum to Jester a 21 year old Welsh Cob and Barney, a laminitic Shetland. Moony is my Highland mare of mature years (don't know how many, but quite a lot!). I work with Jan of Janandjock fame and live on the other side of Inverness to them so sadly we can't get our grey Highlands together as it is too far! Oh and since everyone is putting their age on, I'm 45 but don't feel it (well maybe in the middle of winter hunting poos in the dark and driving snow and lugging haylage about - then I do a bit!)
Denise
Unregistered

[*] posted on 18-10-2004 at 09:10 AM

Hi I'm Denise from Lancashire I have just managed to get back on-line since site went down - must admit I had stopped trying.

My family consists of OH who is very tolerant (and dosen't ride), 2 girls who both ride (9 & 12), 2 dogs 1X cross beardie (very hairy) and 1 x corgi, a cat that constantly sounds like a baby and 3 boys cheeky (welsh a) Piper (14 hand coloured) and Dougle (Highland - my baby) known to his friends as the dancing Highland.

Only got back into riding last year (February) after a nine year break. Never thought when we bought Cheeky 4 years ago I would end up with 3 AND start riding again - but luvin it!!!!
:cheers::wavey:
Kate and Rurie
Administrator

Mood: Happy!!

[*] posted on 16-11-2004 at 07:19 PM

Hi!
Last post seems to be ages ago but as I haven't been on for ages and ages thought I'd reply.
I'm a forty something Learning Support teacher in a secondary school. Between us my daughter, Olivia (who's 15) have three horses. Taz is a grey 3/4 highland very pretty but has a large scar on her rear end from a nasty accident as a foal. She's about 13.3 and is now on loan to an 8 year old girl but still at our yard. Then there's Rurie who's mine, he's 17 an angel who has given me my confidence back after I lost it riding a 16.2 horse who spooked at EVERYTHING. He was a cream dun but is now grey. He hates doing anything remotely like work and so we hack out which is absolutely fine by me. Then there's Honey who is Olivia's ISH, she's also grey but much darker than the other two. She's 15.3 and beautiful. Olivia has just begun competing with her - they both love x country, I hold my breath til they cross the finish line! Kate
alexp
Unregistered

[*] posted on 26-11-2004 at 01:41 PM

I'm Alex, just recently married to Chris (unhorsey, but I have managed to drag him on a couple of hacks), unfortunately I don't have any Highlands (yet) but will soon be saddled with a mortgage. I live in Cardiff but hope to move to Caerphilly asap. I'm doing a PhD in animal behaviour (Bird vision and behaviour) and love it. xxx
solliy
Unregistered

wink.gif posted on 26-11-2004 at 10:35 PM

hello
im caroline and ive just joined too
me has two nags nugget highland X arab not registerd ive had her for 13 years she was my first pony when i was eight and i still compete her at local shows now and im 22 now. an a welsh X connemara solo
but also work on a farm with 7 other highlands not registerd
also have a kelpie and 4 other collies
the farm has luing cattle, blackfaced sheep 17 other collies and a few texels
snakebite
Unregistered

[*] posted on 29-12-2004 at 06:52 PM

Hi All,

I have just read this topic and realized that it is an introduction page!! Sorry I am a little slow!!!
My name is Sylvia (Syl) and I work at Meggernie Estate looking after and producing the bosses ponies.

I have been here for over 12 years now and have just, this year, married my long suffering partner Dochy Ormiston. I am 39 for one more day and on hogmanay I will be the big 40!!!
Feeling a little worried as I have been hearing various stories about life beginning or that it is down hill from here on in!!!!! I will be sure to find out soon.

I was on a girlie holiday in October with 7 other ladies and while I was there I had a tattoo done of a highland pony head to mark my 40th. HAHAHAH!! Really like it.

I have Corrie my 15hh highland x arab who I was very luck to find when I was 15. I still have him. He is now turning 28 and fighting fit. Up until now I have never owned my own pure bred highland but all within one week I purchased a filly foal from my father-in-law and my darling husband has bought me a colt foal for my birthday. I can't believe it. All at once I have a highland family!!!!

Better go as I will be boring you all with my life HAHAHA!!!

See ya
Syl
simpsonsmad
Unregistered

[*] posted on 24-1-2005 at 07:54 PM

Hi all
We are Adrian and Tina from Blackpool.
We have a rising 3 highland called Jubilee of Dykes a 9 year old fell called Linnel Merlin and we have just added a 7 month old grey colt fell called Lunesdale Quicksilver.
Leanne
Unregistered

[*] posted on 24-1-2005 at 09:25 PM

HI! I'm Leanne. and live in Glenlyon. I own one highland- Balach. Worked at Meggernie for 2 years. Love my highlands! I've had such good fun working with Syl and with the breaking in of some of the Meggernie ponies. :wavey:
Highlandtango
Super Moderator

Mood: Is wishing the weekend was longer!!:)

[*] posted on 26-1-2005 at 04:05 PM

Hello, Im new too so I have also got to know people by reading your answers. My name is Jo Jeffs and I am 35. I have a daughter, Harriet who has just started riding and loves it. My husband, Sean is a saddle maker in Walsall and I am a rep for a grooming brush company.

I have one highland, Claymore Macarthur who is nearly eleven and loves himself. Still as cheeky and pushy as ever and I have owned him since a yearling.

I also own Winnal Dungamblin who is a beautiful girl, Highland cross thoroughbred with the most wonderful nature. She is nearly three and is my first experience of owning a mare but apart from the mucky bed I love it.

I have two dogs and two guinea pigs.

Nice to introduce oneself and maybe we may meet in person one day.:wavey::wavey:
Morag
Unregistered

[*] posted on 26-1-2005 at 09:50 PM

Hello
I'm also new. I have read this board now for quite a while now and love reading it. Not very good with computors though ! I have two highland ponies, one on loan and our own youngster Ericht of Achnacarry. My daughter rides and has since she was very young, we both enjoy showing and did very well with Eric last season. Looking forward to this season very much.
mollie
Fledgeling

[*] posted on 28-1-2005 at 06:57 PM
WHO ARE WE ALL

HELLO
I HAVE JUST JOINED THIS GROUP I HAVE BEEN RIDING FOR THREE YEARS AND AN NOW LOOKING FOR A PONY OR HORSE TO BUY BUT I AM 49 AND OVERWEIGHT I AM UNDECIDED BETWEEN A HIGHLAND A DALES OR A CLYDESDALE ANY COMMENTS OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREATFULL RECIEVED I STARTED RIDING THINKING I WOULD HAVE A FEW LESSONS AND HAVE BECOME TOTALLY ADDICTED I NOW HAVE LESSONS THREE TIMES A WEEK
hilary
Unregistered

[*] posted on 28-1-2005 at 09:33 PM

Hi Molly. I am 50 and overweight! I'm working not being overweight but there's not much I can do about being 50. I weighed a LOT when I first got Bonny and it affected me more than it did her. I love Dales as well. They ran a very close second to having a highland but I am so, so glad I stuck to my original dream of a highland. If you think you're addicted now, you wait till you get one. Go for it.
Hilary
Highlandtango
Super Moderator

Mood: Is wishing the weekend was longer!!:)

[*] posted on 28-1-2005 at 10:02 PM

Hi Molly

Im thirty five and overweight but also working on it. Ive had two highlands with a thoroughbred in the middle and I came back to them because you just cannot beat them. They are so easy to do and their feet are not as big as cydlesdales. They also come in some lovely colours and its great to own something a little more unusual (Artie is certainly that!!). Biased as ever but go with the Highland. Save the rare breeds!
GreyMolly

[*] posted on 13-2-2005 at 04:45 PM

Just realised i haven't introduced myself yet.:blush:

I am Emma from East Anglia, i own Crosspark Molly a just 14hh grey dun Highland, she is 6 years old and i have had her since she was 18mnths old.

even though she is quite dinky compared to the other horses i ride with she always acts like she is about 17hh and has to be in front and has a tendancy to turn into a thoroughbred when we go for a gallop.
kempshills
Unregistered

[*] posted on 16-2-2005 at 11:56 AM

Hi, I'm Siobhain and I'm 29 this year. I don't have any Highlands, but got hooked in my teens when I was lucky enough to meet my first Highland. We had six lovely years together before he was given sleep. He taught me a lot (mostly that he was stronger than me and if he wanted to go back home he would!) and I miss him greatly. I curently have two cobs, a Welsh section A and a homebred Hanoverian cross. I also am kept insane by four border collies. I wouldn't have it any other way!

suzym
Unregistered

[*] posted on 18-2-2005 at 12:14 PM

Hi, I'm Suzy. I'm 25 and don't have a highland (although I'm working towards it!). First fell in love with them aged 8 when my older sister and I were looking for our first pony. We saw a lovely grey Highland gelding and I fell in love on the spot. Unfortunately she wanted something with a bit more whizz about it so we ended up with a nutter of a 14.1hh Conn x TB 4 year old mare instead. The ideal first pony! Still have the nutter although she is now retired as both my sister and I have hugely outgrown her and can't bear to part with her, and we haven't found anyone suitable to take her on loan. My sister now has a SSH mare and I ride her whenever I'm home (I work in Milton Keynes but am from Stranraer and go back up there at every opportunity). Hopefully I'll be in a position in the next 3 or 4 years to buy my own Highland but at the moment I'll need to keep saving and dreaming!
toni
Unregistered

[*] posted on 21-2-2005 at 06:54 PM

Hi, i am Toni, i am 16 and i own a highland pony called Carrick Hestan (Carrick Raasay x Fidra of Carrick) and i have a new yellow dun colt coming in a month. Hestan is now 14 years old and lived in Scotland till he was 8 years old. I bought him when he was 11 and he only started showing when he was only 12 but has got some great results since then and this year is his last, we intend to breed from him and have our own little stud sometime in the future. :wavey: ;) :)

[Edited on 21-2-2005 by toni]

Attachment: Hestan44.jpg (51kB)
This file has been downloaded 1055 times

Teasle

[*] posted on 24-2-2005 at 04:48 PM

I am Jill, 52 years old, and am loaned by Teasle a 14'2" dun highland /arab aged 26 (going on 6).
I started riding with the RDA 10 years ago, after an illness left me partially paralysed, and took to it like a duck to water. I go out with a lovely bunch of girls as I can't mount or dismount independently. The group includes Jock's Mum (we all miss him terribly, a true gentle giant). I stay near Beauly, but since taking medical retirement last year, spend most of my time over at Borlum farm Drum, where Teasle is at livery. We love hacking out especially by or in Loch Ness. Oh I also have a football mad husband & son. Will post pic of Teasle once I've sorted out the technicalities (don't hold your breath!)

Ursidae
Unregistered

smile.gif posted on 2-3-2005 at 09:42 PM

Greetings all, from a newbie to the message board - but not to Highland Ponies!

I'm Jenny, 46 yrs old (how did that happen?) previously from Surrey but now in Kent and still owner, but not carer (she's been on loan for some 10yrs now) of Rosette of Gleneagles and ex-owner of the now sadly deceased Kellie of Whitefield.

I recognise a few names from the messages, its been a long time!! Yes, I was the fat one who was always late for showing classes, or being carted by Kellie in ridden classes. :blush: No matter how hard I tried, we always wound up late or at best, just in time. On one stellar occasion, we got caught in a traffic jam on the A3 all the way in to the Surrey County Show, so I spent the journey getting Rosie ready, then when we could get the car behind to back off enough, ran her down the ramp and legged it into the Showground in time to run into the ring minutes before the Judge closed the gate. I was a lot fitter in those days. I doubt I could run down the ramp, these days! :heh hee:

After advice from Janet Roberts to "buy from Scotland", I bought Kellie (Garry/Ella of Whitefield) from the lovely Martin Taylor of Strathkinness way back in 1983. My then partner and I spent a fantastic four days touring Studs in the Perth area, using my motorbike for transport and travelling via the Isle of Man. We caused no end of amusement as to the method I was intending to employ in order to get the pony home! :D We also visited Robert Neill at Rossiebank, and had the pleasure of seeing Rose of Balinoe - little knowing that some two years later I'd be buying the foal she had been carrying at the time of our visit, Rosette of Gleneagles (Cock'O'The North/Rose of Balinoe), from another Mr Taylor in Yorkshire. Its a small world!!

I'm very glad to be here - I miss my ponies terribly and miss talking Highland!

By the way, I was amazed to see a "Poshpaws" already on the site - as that has been my nickname ever since I've been using the Internet! Admirable choice of nickname, if I may say so!! :D

Looking forward to getting to know everybody and their ponies, better.

Edited owing to the fact that I forgot to mention the family - one partner, one six year old son, a greyhound, a lurcher, a kakariki parakeet, a dove, a guinea pig and countless fish! Right, I think I'm done. ;)

[Edited on 2-3-2005 by Ursidae]
foxtrot
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 02:57 PM

Hi to everyone

I thought I'd better introduce myself. My name is Gill and I'm 47 with a 12 year old daughter, Abigail, who is horse mad and a 16 year old son who comes up to the stables to see the girls rather than the horses (he's not very good with animals - we have had a cat for the past 5 years and he still can't pick her up!!:heh hee:)

My husband isn't into horses and never wanted any pets - tough luck. We now have two ponies, a highland called Rory and a very Thelwell-like section A with attitude called Danny, two rabbits Eder and Eddie (came from a rescue centre as Edwina but was renamed Eddie when we seriously doubted his/her sex):dizzy:, a guinea pig called Guy and a beautiful tortoiseshell cat. She is called Dennis (long story!!??)

I haven't ridden for 20 years but intend to start again so that I can ride Rory when he is old enough. At the moment I am quite happy to potter around and let my friend show him for me.

Would love to meet any other highland enthusiasts. I live in Rossendale and at present the ponies are stabled at Croft Top.
highlanderpony2002
Unregistered

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 10:28 PM

Hi everyone My name is Ros and I am 51 I lovemy highlands I have two Rivelin Glen Hazel and Caledonia of Rosedawn. They are wonderful Hazel i a cream dun and will live with me for ever and her full sister Callie is light mouse dun and may have to be sold at the end of the year. I also have a welsh D and a newly aquired spotted horse. I love TREC and we show and do everything with the ponies as I find it doesn't take long for them to get bored. Hazel is 13.1 and Callie is about 13.3 I hope she will make the 14 mark. Both jump for fun and Callie thinks she is a point to pointer. She clears by miles the six fences we use for strip grazing up and down the field at a gallop most days. LOL. Love her to bits though.

Hannah
Unregistered

[*] posted on 30-3-2005 at 07:44 PM

Hi everyone! i'm hannah and i'm 14. i own a 15.2hh highlandx connemara called Pepper-it's a good cross because she just looks like a very overgrown highland! We do a bit of every thing together- and i love her to bits!
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9

Go To Top