Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9
Author: Subject: Who are we all???
DeniseBarnes
Unregistered

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 12:09 PM

Hi, I'm Denise. I have two Highland geldings, Barnagad of Absol (Barnes) 13.3 cream dun aged 10 years, and Hamish of Forglen a 14.2 dark dapple grey aged 7 years. Barnes is the boss and knows exactly what he wants and when he would like to have it. Hamish is not as strong willed as Barnes but nevertheless knows what he would like (more food!).

I'm a happy hacker at heart. I love to just ride out alone with my ponies and I also love leading them out in hand for walks. They're wonderful company. I keep them both as naturally as possible, they live out 24 hours all year, shoeless and unrugged.

I'm a full time accountant and have recently been expanding my horsey knowledge by attending courses on how to trim my ponies feet and Kelly Marks Intelligent Horsemanship methods.

I also have 3 cats called Fergus, Mica and Annie, and an OH called Rob who lets my ponies get away with murder.
HeatherCornes
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 08:02 PM

Hi there Im Heather have been smitten with highlands since going to Mrs Macs at Dalbrack in 1970ish. After a brilliant trekking holiday in Tomintoul where a lifelong friend we met there bought Aster and had her for 4 years before her other half got a professorship at Calgary University - so Aster came South to me, she is so beautiful we decided to breed from her looking for a carbon copy - not so.... we got Glen a feisty grey gelding sired by Macnair of Denmill, who always seems to be a challenge at 58 in November I often wonder what the hell I am doing - must be mad but I guess most of us Highland folk are. Also have an elderly greyhound - Wren and long suffering husband, who rides Aster she is such a poppet and so tolerant of novice riders. I have been a member of the HPEC for about 16 years now and South East co-ordinator for about 8 now for my sins am secretary that is what having Highlands leads to. Have enjoyed every minute well almost.....
Illium Dhoone
Unregistered

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 08:20 PM
Hello all....

Hi

New member here. Ive only just discovered the HPEC, I have known about it for some time, as I have been a member of the Highland pony society for about 20 years, but only recently did I discover the forum, from Caro who also writes into another native site.

I used to own Whitefield Amy of Ballyduggan a grey mare wonderful nature. She is about 12+ now I had her from 2 - 4 years old and bred a filly foal called Lady Isabella of Axenfell (as she was born in view of the Lady Isobella water wheel in Laxey Isle of Man.

The pair were sold to a lady in East Yorkshire as Amy (I called her Agnus) had terrible sweet itch. So bad the vet recommended putting the mare to sleep, but thankfully a lady called Margaret Tiffany purchased Agnus and the foal for her sister.... in East Yorkshire. High and windy, better with less midges.

I would love to get re united with Mrs. Tiffany's sister to see how Agnus and Issi are getting along... If any one should know of the whereabouts it would be great....

I purchased Lyncrest's Mhenna from Janet Roberts when Mhenna was a yearling. She is now 10 years old. She is a fab mare and I could want for nothing more from her. As soon as I learn how to down load pics Ill send some in... On an apple Mac - hubbies machine...

I also own a 'retired' fell mare called Townend honey. She is a companion to Daloumie Mac Lir a yearling Dales. So a bit of a mixed bag of ponies. We share a field with Hamish his real name is Whitefield Ebony of Ballyduggan. He was supposed to be black I think but turned a beautiful dappled grey now. He is Mhennas field companion and bestest buddy.

Oh, we all live on the Isle of man

Speak soon

Illium D.

Jackie
Unregistered

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 09:22 PM

Hi I'm Jackie and I have one Highland the saintly Doug and a devilish Welsh cob, retired, called Sam ( Neauddparc Tywysog). I mostly do showing and dressage and last winter got very ( somewhat bizzarly) into dressage to music.

Doug is a Mouse dun and 10 years old and is full brother to Ginny's Toby, 1/2 brother 1/2 nephew to Sara and Lucinda's Stefanieand 1/2 brother to Tayberry ( who Janine Modder rides).
Highlands! they are all related. I am too nervous and too well upholstered to really do Doug justice but we keep working at it we continue to improve and always have lots of fun. Doug has just spent two weeks at boarding school whilst I have been on holiday. Where he has been practising his jumping and dressage and has apparently been a good boy.
I am so looking forward to picking him up tomorrow, he of course will refuse to recognise me as revenge for leaving him there. :mad:
laura
Unregistered

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 09:45 PM

Hi

iv only recently been converted to highlands as i have always had connemaras in the past.
i have got Skye a 14.2 7 yr old highland grey dun mare who iv not had long. She is a really lovely pony and at the moment we have just done in hand but hoping to do some novice ridden classes over the winter.
i have also got 2 connemaras, beth a 14 hh 10 yr old bay mare and Jesse a 3yr old grey gelding and then Dessie and Kaz my 2 old jumping ponies. we have just started breaking Jesse (until it got too wet to lunge him ) and hes going really well, hes the friendliest pony iv ever had and im sure he thinks hes human! We got Beth to get my confidence back after i had a bad fall jumping, and she has been a fantastic pony and she has done really well in m+m and show hunter classes (until i got too old) my mum also rides her.
We have also got 2 dogs, tex and meg, 2 cats a rabbit and 5 baby hedgehogs now as they have decided to live in 1 of the stables.
iv have just done my A levels and going to Sheffield uni in September to do maths (i must be crazy) luckily its not far away so im going to travel everyday.

[Edited on 21-8-2004 by laura]
fourmerk
Posting Freak

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 21-8-2004 at 04:41 PM
I'm Joan

Hi, Silver C,

I'm 56 years young and started with two Highland Ponies in 1986. I live near Kippen in Stirlingshire and now have Fourmerk Stud, with twenty something Highlands, as well as a fold of Highland Cattle. Highland Ponies grow on you! :D

I'm very lucky: I was an English teacher in Glasgow many years ago and when we moved to Stirlingshire in 1985, I realised a life long ambition to have ponies. We have three stallions and breed about six foals each year. I love what I do, even although it can be hard work, especially in winter.

We show our ponies in hand and have met some good friends through this. I really enjoy handling the foals!
CriochMij

[*] posted on 22-8-2004 at 12:48 PM

Hello!
I am Irene, I'm 26 (going on 12!) and i now live in Barnard Castle in County Durham but I am originally from Irvine in Ayrshire and i still go home regualary to visit my parents and my two dogs, Diesel a 4 year old demented springer and Dino my 13 year old collie x.

I am owned by Crioch Mij (known as Mij or Pain the A**), an 8 year old golden dun Highland gelding. Mij was supposed to be my 'pocket-money-pony' but has ended up something of a walking vets bill between strangles, foot sore, lameness, putting his poll out on a regular basis and choking - not bad bearing in mind I've only had him 18 months!
Also, finally after 18 months i think i might just have found a saddle that actually fits him and that's only because it's treeless.

However, despite all that I wouldn't sell him for all the money in the world. He has the most wonderful nature, is incredibly honest and is very much multi-talented. Most importantly he is my best friend. Somedays he seems to think he is a lap dog rather than a pony and he loves having behind his ears scratched. He has melted the hearts of everyone that has met him and i usually have to peel a few kids off him to get near him. He looks just like a big fuzzy teddy bear and is equally as huggable.

His only down side is that he doesn't know his own strength and tends to accidently trample anyone who gets between him and food.

I don't have a partner as I'm practically married to Mij - blokes just don't get a look in.
GinnyD
Unregistered

[*] posted on 23-8-2004 at 04:14 PM

I'm Ginny - I have one Fell (Townend Badger) and one Highland (Brungrange Toby) who is a full brother to Jackie's Brungrange Douglas.

The two ponies could not be more different - Badger is 13.1hh very bold and bolsy - he has sms (small man syndrome) - he's forgotten that he lost his bits at 3 and behaves a bit like a medalion man. He's had a pretty successful showing career and has just returned after a year off with a tendon and ligament injfury. Toby on the other hand is quiet, gentle and a real gentlemen - a bit of a Tim nice but dim character. He's 4 and is doing some basic schooling and lots of hacking out at the moment.

I live in Buckinghamshire - no husband - just the boys and my cat - a seal tabby pointed Birman called Posy - or Kincarad Kinky Coola Shaka to be be precise - see it's not just ponies that have silly names!!!! I run my own company and work as a HR Consultant.
Tracey
Unregistered

[*] posted on 23-8-2004 at 10:17 PM

Hi Silver,
I am owned by a special boy called Foggy (a 14.2hh grey highland), only had him since jan this year and so far he has tested my patience,courage,confidence and bank balance, but i would not have it any other way. I also have two dogs, a staffy and a westie, soon will be 3 dogs as my westie at the grand old age of 9 finally went to stud the other week!!!! 3 cats whom love me but hate my husband, oh i have a husband and a darling little 2 year old boy.
I have my old job back working at the local boarding kennels and cattery where there is a horse aswell, also do the odd bit of work from home to pay for Foggys livery and anything else that he may need!!!
This is a wonderful site whom have helped me no end and are still helping.

Oh and maybe i am the only traitor being from the welsh hills, the land of the great welsh cobs!

Welcome
Anna Wedgwood
Unregistered

[*] posted on 24-8-2004 at 12:12 AM

Well, looks like I might be Granny to you all as I got my Highland, Teddy, for my 60th birthday. I was fed up with trying to be brave on a 16.2 tb x id so sold him to a fearless teenager and now I am really enjoying my riding again. I have a disabled elderly husband and am self employed as a bookkeeper so even though semi retired I don't manage to do as much with my pony as I would like. Also have two gorgeous Cavaliers - Dougal and Danny and a nasty cat called Tabitha. I went on the North Yorks moor ride on Sunday and ached in many places afterwards but really enjoyed the day and was proud as punch of Teddy
Julie
Super Hero

[*] posted on 24-8-2004 at 01:18 AM

Hi i am Julie
I have ridden and broken highlands for 15 years and was 40 last week. I do dressage and try and use classical methods. I am parelli level 1.5 with my highland Louis, who is a reformed extreme thug. I work as a self emplyed costume designer and am training as a homeopath as well. I have a horsey husband who mucks out a lot and a 5 year old son who also rides but only on dads big cob! I love highlands and would love more of them and am looking for a new one soon!

Ps Hi mary!
Val S.
Super Freak

[*] posted on 27-8-2004 at 08:51 PM

Hi, I'm Val, I've been involved with horses since I was 10 [45 years]. I own Kincardine Maccallum, 13.2 eleven year old grey gelding. Had him since he was 3 [can't believe it's 8 years] , mainly hack out, although my daughter competes him in m&m whp and dressage - not often now as she is concentrating on her own N.F. pony. Last year I competed him myself in dressage for the first time in my life.
Have 2 dogs, an elderly lurcher & young whippet which I'm having a go at showing. Also have 2 cats and Geoff, my long suffering husband who funds all the above!!
Silver C

[*] posted on 27-8-2004 at 09:39 PM

Hi Everyone

A bit of sad news. Further to my original posting, I sadly lost one of my tribe on Wednesday of this week to the dreaded navicular disease. Willow was my first horse whom I had for nearly 10 years and he was my friend.

It;s such a shame that such a 'simple' thing on the surface (the navicular bone) causes so much heartache, and no matter what we tried, nothing worked for him. He's the first horse I've lost, and the decision was perhaps one of the hardest I've ever had to make.

I'm not sure how long it will take to get over him....keep crying at strange times at the moment, but time is apparently a great healer.

Anyway, misery over....it;s still nice to be here :D

This is Willow.....not a Highland I know, but a gentleman and a friend:

Willow

[Edited on 27-8-2004 by Silver C]
Delilah
Unregistered

[*] posted on 29-8-2004 at 01:44 AM
introducing my gang

Hi, I'm Sue. I'm 46, have ridden all my life, am an old Pony Clubber and I still love horses as much as I did as a kid. We have a small farm in New England in the U.S. and my daughter will be attending St. Andrews University this fall. She is very excited about it, and I can't wait to visit. Our Highland pony is named Delilah. She came through an auction in the state of Maine in the U.S. and she is a kind, willing, wonderful pony. Sadly, she developed laminitis this past summer when we moved her to a training facility and we are working hard to help her recover.
anne
Advanced Member

[*] posted on 29-8-2004 at 06:03 PM

Hi
I am Anne live near Bath in Somerset and am a Riding for the Disabled Instructor also teach mainstream lessons. I join the middle age gang .
I've had Moto (Montreith Motivator) for a month he is 13.2hh grey dun and is wonderful , he leds treks out you can led another horse from him he rides out on his own and has joined the R.D.A. gang , He is off on our R.D.A. hoilday this week.
I had a hip replaced 2 years ago and have finally found a pony that I can ride safely. Have had several bad experiences with other horses. Have also got a homebread Welsh Section B yearling which I show in hand . hopefully Moto will get to some shows in the future.
Also have 2 collies 1 does a little obedience the other is ball mad . also 2 cats and 10 fish
tigwil

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 11:58 AM

Hello I am Tig Wilson. Don and I have had Tigh-Glas Highland ponies here on our 10 acres of Teesside since 1971, breeding and showing in the early days while our children were still at home. We have just 5 home bred ponies now - aged 6yrs - 23 yrs, a nice number to deal with, they are all so bidable. Three are broken to ride and we happy hack about with the occasional pleasure ride when it fits in with the gradparently duties. We have a few sheep and some dairy goats to help with the pasture management and the usual assortment of dogs and cats. We manage fine riding treeless and barefoot - don't do competative things now, though I must say Le Trec looks interesting - Maybe next year.
Valerie B.
Posting Freak

Mood: Mostly harmless

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 09:08 AM

This seems an appropriate opportunity to say Hi All. My first highland pony was was of Tig Wilson's : Tigh-Glas Dealanach (Tigger). We did everything together for 25 years and he shuffled off to the green fields beyond last August. I now have 7 year old Achtriochtan Vanessa, a cream dun/grey, who has just been to her first 'County' show and behaved impeccably (and came 3rd in hand). She is rather more of a challenge than Tigger who was a teddy bear, but I think we are just beginning to gel now. (It was my 50th birthday on August Bank Holiday Monday - what a day to choose!)

[Edited on 8-9-2004 by Valerie B.]
sanda
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 07:41 AM

Hello, I live up in North west Scotland and have only one highland justnow, a yearling filly called Hope, I lost Sanda this summer. I spend any free time doing things with other peoples highlands and I love them all. I have seven others including an ancient shetland with hardly any teeth and am half way through starting a 4 yr old tbred at the moment. Im addicted to highlands though and am sort of looking for a very good unbroken gelding to show ridden next year. I love to go on this website if I have some time because highland ponies attract the nicest people to talk to.

Judy

[*] posted on 20-9-2004 at 12:34 PM

At last I had better introduce myself.

I have been riding off and on more years that I care to admit, but after years of admiring Highlands have been found by one.

I first met this lass in March when she wasn't for sale. A month later and the owner decided she didn't have enough time to do her justice. At the beginning of May she came home with me.

She's a 7yr old (more like 4 at times) mouse dun mare Celia of Dykes (but called Cea by her friends). Has attitude (I suspect through no fault of her own), but has absolutely no malice.

Her biggest strength is that she has really won over my husband, who really much prefers cats to horses!

I had virtually given up on being an owner after loosing my non-highland friend, confident and companion of 18 years last Dec. Crunch was 28 but to loose her through twisted gut.......
Riding and being around horses held no real interest, and was sometimes extremely difficult.

I'll not bore you all with the rest - unless you want.

Have loads and loads of questions which I hope I may be allowed to ask from time to time.

Judy
Tim Connell
Advanced Member

Mood: Feeling good

[*] posted on 21-9-2004 at 11:19 PM

We are Tim & Jean in Fife and many of you may know us! We are a little older than those who have stated their ages, both retired although I look after peoples gardens. We both ride our ponies and show in hand and under saddle. We have Achnacarry and Craigiebrig ponies, mainly the former and three gifted Orangefield ponies. 2 stallions, one sold, a yearling colt, 4 foals with another still expected!!, 2 Burmese cats a labrador, Standard Schnauzer and an elderly stroppy Jack Russell. Tim & Jean
Highlander
Super Freak

Mood: Croila Chieftain

[*] posted on 24-9-2004 at 03:22 AM
New on here

Just joined the site after finding it while looking round links from the HPS site.
Looking forward to reading some of the old forum stuff.
A lot of you probably know of us from the Highland Pony world and the Croila bloodlines. I still keep a few "Dobbins" but not just Highlands. I breed some Shetlands as well as part breds.
Just updated my website after finally working out how to do it and will try and keep adding new stuff.
Picture of me and one of my ponies attached below.
Have a look: http://www.ormistonhighlands.com
Leave a message in the Guestbook to say you have been.
Ruaridh Ormiston

[Edited on 26-9-2004 by Highlander]

Attachment: Meann Deer Pony Grantown 2004 2 web.jpg (42kB)
This file has been downloaded 3124 times

CES
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-9-2004 at 10:34 PM

I'm Claire (logged in as CES and sorry about the capitals - sounds as though I'm shouting) I'm 46 and live in Chalford Hill in Gloucestershire, also close to Nashend Stud. I share an unregistered 12 year old yellow dun highland gelding called Choc with my 9 nine year old daughter, which in reality means I get to lug jump stands around while they career around the school undoing all my careful attempts at schooling but having an enviable amount of fun. I'm too much of a coward to jump much any more...We've only had him a few months but he's proving to be a great pony for us, to the extent I'm thinking a young highland to bring on would be good. I fund this with a furniture design/manufacturing business run with my partner Richard, who is totally non horsey, but who seems to like Choc, and who was spotted riding him the other day, but not when I was watching. This is a good website; the postings very friendly and informative, not neurotic and opinionated like some I've visited.
Pagan2610
Unregistered

smile.gif posted on 30-9-2004 at 06:05 PM

Hi, Elizabeth

I'm Mairi and I am the despairing slave of Pagan, an 8 year old Highland 'Horse' (he's just over 15' high - oops!), and Arien, a 12 year old 17' Clydesdale X TB. Pagan 'does' Dressage, showing and Le Trec; Arien 'does' Eating at Prix St. Georges Level and is already at Olympic standard Sleeping (with or without rider!)
snicket

[*] posted on 4-10-2004 at 10:58 AM

I'm Rebecca from Yorkshire ! 36 and slave to 10 yr old Fern ( Ballinton Islay Fern ) who I bought from Tina D in somerset ( hello Tina ! ) in Dec 99 . In my spare time I work in Leeds for the Home Office but mostly I grub about in wellies attending to my furry friend who is an extremely wet furry friend today ! I don't think I've ever seen her coat so thick at this time of year so either we are set for a cold winter or Ferns heating system is on the blink !
I am just a happy hacker myself ( as long as its not raining ! ) but Fern is a typical Highland in that being ridden is a low priority after eating , sleeping , eating some more etc ....! As soon as I tack up she falls asleep which causes much amusement at my yard !!
Pegasus
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 02:52 PM

well i guess i better introduce myself as well, im Margaret, in my late 30's (yuk:( ) i own 2 highlands, Heidi is 10 yo 14.2hh grey mare, she is better known as Kincardine Sheena, by Corriegarth Rhidorroch x Swona of Dalbrack, her main aim in life is to eat lol, my other highland is Holly a 2 yo grey dun filly,reg name Boquhan Highland Jubilee by Fyfedene x Fourmerk Hazel, she very cute cuddly sort, and oh so laid back about most things, my husband has nicknamed her TP, ( tramp pony as she is always coverd in muck:P )
also have 2 great danes Lara and Seymour, we show them both, plus 2 chinchillas , i work sort of part time ( from home when i have time ) i paint horse sculptures,
plan to get both the girls out to some shows next year, which should be fun !!
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9

Go To Top