Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SPYWARE
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 03:48 PM
SPYWARE

This was news to me, so it may be to others too. Although I have up to date virus protection with spam and popup stoppers I hadn't realised that it is possible to still pick up spyware - some of which can be quite virus-like in its behaviour. I have to say, I seemed to pick up more of it once this board was back... Anyway, if you put adaware into google it will take you to ad-aware SE personal software -lavasoft where you can download for free the personal use version. Easy to install and run and it cleans up your machine - so if your computer is very slow or freezing, it could be spyware. It was with mine.
Claire
Super Administrator

Mood: in transit...

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 06:01 PM

Good advice Reb! Running adaware every few weeks or so will scan your computer hard drive and remove nasties that get in there from the internet. It can be downloaded from:

Download Adaware here!

HPEC Forum Webmaster
Pink Pony Owner

scbu
Super Freak

Mood: frazzled

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 06:55 PM

I`ve had big problems with spyware and adware in the last few days and have finally managed to download software from lavasoft to (hopefully) deal with it.

Apart from these free downloads, is there any software I can buy which automatically scans the hard drive at regular intervals to eradicate these nasties? Or, how often do folk run programmes such as adaware?
Rebecca
Administrator

Mood: Loving my lovely ponies

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 08:45 AM

I am not sure you can or need to buy a programme. Anything that scans automatically can cause its own problems as you can't always overrideit whenit decides to stop and scan and it sometimes picks up on stuff that is actually okay. I you keep up dating lavasoft when prompted to do so you should be okay. I run a quick scan once a week and a fullsystem scan once a month. Probably depends how much online time youspend and whether you download music (I don't) as these sites are targetted for spyware.
ginny
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 09:34 AM

My OH runs Panda Platinum which detects spyware, viruses and anything else nasty. It updates itself each day automatically when you go online and if it thinks something is wrong it does a scan! Way beyond me and my few computer skills but it has certainly been worth it :clap::clap:

Go To Top