Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club

Lovely solo ride on Fingal

Mags - 10-10-2018 at 10:50 AM

I have lost my confidence riding out solo on Fingal and now only hack him with company. So I choose my Connie to ride when I have to ride solo even though he is quite spooky about silly things but never really does much. But just thinking about taking Fingals out alone sets me worrying. Well today I got my head in the right place and calm and took him out. It was such a lovely day and he was fab. I really enjoyed it and just wish I could get my head sorted more often. So I must try to get him out more as I used to ride him out regularly and he’s never nappy and so comfortable. Today I’m loving my Fingal. Will try harder.

[Edited on 10-10-2018 by Mags]

vakizz - 10-10-2018 at 12:25 PM

Confidence is so difficult to get your head around. Mine was definitely up and down for a long time. I was lucky that in my current yard the YO sorted me out and told me to stop letting Cara fanny around. So if she looked hard at something or spooked etc. she would say, kick her on, don't let her do that, give her a wallop. It certainly worked and she is great now, the better she got , the better I got, so if she does a double take on something now, I just say get on stop being daft. I also have the YO's voice in my ear and recall her comments. I think they are really sensitive to picking up on any worries we have and can monkey around for the sake of it. I do try to ride out with others though, its nice for company and also you can relax then try to instill that in yourself for when you have to ride on your own. Well done for going out on your own though.:clap::clap:

FoxyThyme - 10-10-2018 at 04:20 PM

Well done, I am building up confidence again but have never been confident enough to feel happy in the open hay fields only in the jump field.

Keep us informed of your progress, your post has inspired me to get going when this strangles outbreak allows

L-J - 10-10-2018 at 04:51 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Confidence is such an ephemeral thing. I lost mine very badly about 15 years ago....I fell off Cameron & was badly concussed. Told not to ride for 6 weeks...right for my brain physically but so wrong mentally!! I could only ride Lily at walk with Ed on Darna for support. I would freak out if Darna tried to lead on at trot. Yet only a few years later I took on the task of riding Douglas who did everything at a million miles an hour but he was always extremely safe....he was mortified if his rider fell off :) He gave me back my confidence, without him I would not have been able to educate our own young ponies.

vakizz - 10-10-2018 at 07:58 PM

My first pony way back when I was in my teens was very good at putting in sharp turns and bucks, when I hit the deck he would just stand and look at me with a sort of, what are you doing down there. Unfortunately Cara ran off when she was younger, but would only usually go about a half field distance to the nearest grass and start grazing, but then back in the day I seemed to be able to jump straight up and was usually holding onto the reins. My body just doesn't react like that now.:blush:

Midge - 11-10-2018 at 06:27 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Well done :clap::clap::clap::clap:

As L-J says, confidence is a fragile flower and easily crushed. I'm sure that getting older plays its part too - when I think back to how I used to ride anything usually at warp speed and over any country!! With age comes wisdom and a healthy respect for what your body doesn't want to put up with anymore!!

I always ride alone now as all my riding buddies have moved away. I'm already starting to worry about how I will get Mac started as he's super reactive and, currently, we have no pony to nanny him with.

L-J - 11-10-2018 at 07:27 AM

Sometimes I think starting a pony on its own is better, they do not rely on their friend but on you

Midge - 12-10-2018 at 06:44 AM

I hope so, L-J!

Katherine - 12-10-2018 at 08:21 AM

Glad you managed it. The voices in your head are very difficulty to silence come time. I find breaking it down into small steps helps don't try and eat the whole elephant (totu one for me I'm vegi) in one sitting.

I too find starting them on there own is best I didn't with Glen and had a battle on my own hands when I'd finally got him going I didn't go out with another rider for 2 years.

Rory is 5 and going nicely and has yet to be ridden with another horse. Closest he's come is my husband walking Glen out with us but we normally lose them in a hedge somewhere and are on our own again.